Body drag or board when learning?

  • johnmitch1980
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      First, I'd like to say thanks to the people for their previous advice
      concerning 8m and 20m kite purchases.

      Now, I've got another question. I took a number of lessons this
      summer from a very good kiteboard instructor, who gave me lots of
      good pointers. However, we only did about 1/2 an hour of body
      dragging, and I only attempted to get up on the board once or twice
      with him. (Winds were a limiting factor during our lessons).

      I went to the beach the other day in 20mph winds with my 12m kite
      (it's the smallest I have), and promptly got yanked about 50ft in the
      air off the beach. It scared the living hell out me, and I can't
      help but wonder what happened to all of those hours I spent training
      with my 1m kite. So I guess my question is this: should I spend more
      time just body dragging up and down the beach, or should I take my
      board out there with me?

      Also, is there a certain etiquette I should be following? (What I
      mean is, I don't want to ruin the beach for all the other
      kiteboarders by getting myself hurt and then having the local
      authorities crack down on kiteboarders).

      John
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004

        > I went to the beach the other day in 20mph winds with my 12m kite
        > (it's the smallest I have), and promptly got yanked about 50ft in the
        > air off the beach. It scared the living hell out me, and I can't
        > help but wonder what happened to all of those hours I spent training
        > with my 1m kite. So I guess my question is this: should I spend more
        > time just body dragging up and down the beach, or should I take my
        > board out there with me?

        ...........neither. FIRST: call your dealer and ask him what the total range for this kite and
        your weight is. SECOND: divide by two, and do not - without an instructor - go out in
        winds above the middle of your kite's range....board or no board. THIRD: get off land as
        fast as you can. It's the most dangerous place for other's and ourselves..

        Hell, bodydragging is like riding a 50cc moped while other's are on Ninja's, but you either
        learn to tame the kite - or you get hurt.

        > Also, is there a certain etiquette I should be following? (What I
        > mean is, I don't want to ruin the beach for all the other
        > kiteboarders by getting myself hurt and then having the local
        > authorities crack down on kiteboarders).

        ............either make friends with the alpha male, or move far out of the way.

        ...you'll make friends faster if: A) you don't endanger them ....B) civilains ....or Z) yourself.
        Understand; If you get scared off or tree your kites - there's more launch space for them.

        "Persistant Common Sense" is a quality you need to nourish - after decent lessons.

        Nowwww - go play.

        Jim
      • jakob Thegerström
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
          Hi!

          Just one more advice on the 8 and 20m kites :)
          If you want to enlarge your windrange you should
          instead get a larger / or smaller board. It'll be
          cheaper / safer and will also give you better result!
          Also if you're learning you should have a large board,
          it'll be easier...

          /J

          --- johnmitch1980 <johnmitch1980@...> skrev:

          ---------------------------------

[...]

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.
        • David Alger
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
            I too flew trainers for hours and "trained" myself bodydragging for
            days. Then in front of all my friends I took my 12 meter (I'm 150
            lbs) out in 18-24 knot winds and it looped continuously and dragged
            me at speed for a mile by my wrist strap. Luckily my board leash
            broke immediately. The kicker was my depower safety did not
            release. I figured if the kite pulled me under I was a gonner, so I
            let it go. Kiters do take risks windsurfers don't even dream about.
            I still go out in perfect conditions, but with only moderate, non-
            gusty offshore winds in bays with nice barrier beaches all around,
            with no traffic or objects of any kind. I may live to learn to stay
            up, but not yet. David