Re: Don't want to pay too much again

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      As a beginner, you probably OK with a 12 and 16 to start with and
      don't need a 8 or 20 just yet. So don't spend more money now, enjoy
      the sport first and when you get better, you'll know what you want...

      Hung.

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "johnmitch1980"
      <johnmitch1980@y...> wrote:

      > I'm brand new to kitesurfing, and I was overzealous 2 weeks ago when
      > I bought my equipment........meaning, I went to the local dealer and
      > shelled out $3800 for 2 kites (12m and 16m), a board, harness,
      > lifevest, etc.
      > I need to get a 20m kite and 8m kite, but don't want to pay $1200 per
      > kite like I did two weeks ago.
      > I know I can buy used kites online (I checked out ikitesurf.com for
      > listings) for $300 to $500. My problem is, I don't know what kites
      > are "good", or that I could use as a beginner.
      > My 12m and 16m are both Caution Spitfire kites. What 8m and 20m
      > kites should I get?
      > Please help!!! Thanks!
    • Sax, Steve, M.D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
        John, when I started I had 4 kites (8, 10, 14 and 17.5). After a couple of
        years, I now have only a very good 15 and 19 which I use between 8 and 25
        mph (I'm 210). Over 25mph I simply come in and watch people break ankles and
        dislocate shoulders. As I improve I think my two kites will decrease to 13
        and 17 (maybe)

        Steve

        I'm brand new to kitesurfing, and I was overzealous 2 weeks ago when
        I bought my equipment........meaning, I went to the local dealer and
        shelled out $3800 for 2 kites (12m and 16m), a board, harness,
        lifevest, etc.
        I need to get a 20m kite and 8m kite, but don't want to pay $1200 per
        kite like I did two weeks ago.
        I know I can buy used kites online (I checked out ikitesurf.com for
        listings) for $300 to $500. My problem is, I don't know what kites
        are "good", or that I could use as a beginner.
        My 12m and 16m are both Caution Spitfire kites. What 8m and 20m
        kites should I get?
        Please help!!! Thanks!

        http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm
        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the answers

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129cvmqtc/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1097303378/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://prom
        otions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2376776/rand=262856390>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _________ ****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**** This e-mail is the property of
        The Methodist Hospital and/or its relevant affiliates and may contain
        confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
        recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is
        strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(or authorized to
        receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies
        of the message. Thank you.

      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "johnmitch1980" <johnmitch1980@y...> wrote:

          > I'm brand new to kitesurfing, and I was overzealous 2 weeks ago when
          > I bought my equipment........meaning, I went to the local dealer and
          > shelled out $3800 for 2 kites (12m and 16m), a board, harness,
          > lifevest, etc.
          > I need to get a 20m kite and 8m kite, but don't want to pay $1200 per
          > kite like I did two weeks ago.
          > I know I can buy used kites online (I checked out ikitesurf.com for
          > listings) for $300 to $500. My problem is, I don't know what kites
          > are "good", or that I could use as a beginner.
          > My 12m and 16m are both Caution Spitfire kites. What 8m and 20m
          > kites should I get?
          > Please help!!! Thanks!

          ...........John: Take a one year breath! ... you're upside down already! But, I
          completely understand: "..just one more bit of kit will get me over the hump...." Not so.
          That's why, I think, those 3-fer deals are a bad choice for new people - you get stuck with
          - at least - one kite you don't need.

          ......and forget the 8M unless you have a large estate to leave your wife, and forget the 20
          because at this stage - you'll never relaunch it, or your wife will get the estate again.

          The 12 and 16 are the perfect choice for adults of average size. Caution, tho not in my
          area, have a good rep. My 9 and 20 are the most useless kites for my area (varies by
          region and body weight) and it looks like your dealer took good care of you with the two
          you got.

          You need a Hobbs meter on the bar reading about 100hrs before you go ask your trust
          officer for another advance. Now go play......

          Jim