Shorter .vs. longer line length

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      Having used 0m to 50m line length for various form of kiting, here are
      my comments:

      1- Different line length DOES make a difference
      2- You can go as short as 0m line length for kiteskiing (up to a
      certain size only)
      3- You can go as short as 15m line length for kitesurfing (shorter
      than that it becomes pretty tough and not ideal for the average kiters
      in average conditions)
      4- You can probably go as long as you want but for jumping 40 - 45 m
      seems to be the max

      If I can take only 1 kite with me in a trip, I would definitely take 2
      set of lines (20m lines and 27m line)

      I can't say whether John's formula of "3m of line is equivalent to1m of
      kite" is exact or not, but it should be a very good approximation...

    • Lynita
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        I often use 15m line (30m lines doubled over) for a first lesson.
        They are great to teach all the kite skills up to body dragging. The
        only downfall is if you get a nasty tangle when practicing throwing
        the bar and retrieving the kite for a water relaunch.

        1. It makes the wind window 1/3 the size - safer when there are other
        beach users and less dist for me to cover if I have to help them
        relaunch the kite.

        2. It reduces the lift when a std flies the kite too fast, unaware of
        the power it can generate. This reduces std fear of the kite (it
        doesn't pull so hard so the don't get freaked out).

        3. Kite reaction time is quicker.

        For the 2nd lesson (getting on the board) ideally I use 20m, or 30m
        if the wind is lighter. By now the std has a good understanding of
        how to fly the kite (ie. push/pull rather than twisting the bar like
        a car steering wheel). This is when the student needs to feel lift
        of a faster moving kite, and needs the lift to stand up on the board.

        (-: happy kiting ppl. Lynita
      • jakob Thegerström
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
          I also tried 15m (doubled 30m) on my wipika free air
          some months ago. I wouldn't say it was safer... The
          kite was very fast and unpredicteble... sometimes
          wanting to fly into the powerzone... so I would say it
          depends on the kite if you can use really short lines
          (20-30m can be used by any kites, but 4-20m with
          tubes? ... I don't think mainy tubes are designed for
          this?! Then you use shorter lines you'll change the
          aperture of the tube kite and hence that could make it
          unstable... with foil kites you don't have this
          problem so there I would agree that you can use
          0-whatever line lenght...)
          trying to sell 0-30m lines to beginners to use with
          ANY kite and claiming it's more safe is to my opinion
          not serious and not safe.
          And what can you do with 10m lines? It'll be like
          1000x more difficult going upwind and 100x more
          difficult to waterstart unless you don't have 20+
          knots!!
          If the goal is to learn control of the kite it's much
          safer to get a trainer kite...

          /Jakob

          --- Lynita <lynita_howie@...> skrev:

[...]

          answers