Line Length

  • speeded176
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      Hi Guys, I have seen a website offering line lengths from 4meters
      upwards. The description for the 13m lines for example says good for
      beginners, makes water starts easier. Can anyone comment if this
      hold true? Thanks Ian
    • Iain Wood
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
        On 29 Sep 2004, at 14:33, speeded176 wrote:

        > Hi Guys, I have seen a website offering line lengths from 4meters
        > upwards. The description for the 13m lines for example says good for
        > beginners, makes water starts easier. Can anyone comment if this
        > hold true? Thanks Ian

        If a kite is on short lines then it can't build up much speed before it
        reaches the edge of the wind window. This means the dynamic lift (not
        sure if that is the right term, I mean the lift generated by the
        movement of the kite) is small. If the lines are really short all you
        will get is the "static lift".

        I've been looking at this site too, and I would like to hear others
        views on this. Is this a breakthrough in kiting safety? Should we all
        be getting extra line sets?

        Iain