Re: [ksurfschool] Should a new kiter take lesson?

  • Tatiana J. Pacheco
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
      I am convinced that any newbie shoud take at least two classes to avoid accidents. kiting looks pretty and smooth when others are flying but it is not the same when a new one is trying it. Kiting looks like is soft and you should be strong with the bar, but it is totally the oposite: The kite could pull you so hard and you should be very soft with the bar. Taking lessons is safer and quicker to learn...

      Tatiana Pacheco
      Hamline University,
      MN 55104
      6519173255
    • Remtgnow@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
        Absolutely lessons should be taken.
        How many? who should give the lessons?
        I think it depends on the student. I've seen very few people who could
        progress without a minium of 2 lessons. without lessons, how can you even guess
        the things that can go wrong?
        Take a lesson. Your instructor should feel confident enough to tell you that
        you need more lessons.
        Phil Burke

      • Pam S.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
          Lessons are a must Hung. I took a half day lesson(and this was after kiting all last winter on the ice.) and think that is a bare minimum. In my short time in the sport I have gotten in trouble and have seen some others do the same. Trouble is, it is hugely addictive and sometimes this affects our decision making. I shutter to think of the potential for serious injury. I love your kitesurfing school and read everything I can get my hands on. I always think safety first.

          Keep up the good work.

          Tom
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
            Hi there, This is my first post!! horay!!!

            I purchased a kite and thought this should be a laugh, watching
            everyone else made it look quite easy. Well nearly gave myself
            whiplash first time!!!

            Brought some DVD's and all the mags, but booked myself a lesson,
            while my other half watched me!! and not only did I have a to-die
            for instructor, it made me more confident and much more aware of
            saftey etc.

            Even though it was UKĀ£100 and we only got 1/2 day wind I cannot wait
            to do my 2 day course...just need the weather here in England!!!!

            Thanks for all the info, great group.

            And would recommend a lesson for anyone.
            Regards,
            Tx