Should a new kiter take lesson?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
      In the early days, nobody took lesson as there was none available.

      I bought my Wipika and Fone board in Paris in 1998 and the serial number
      on them are less than 100 (hints: there were less than 100 kiters
      world-wide back then).

      I created http://www.kitesurfingschool.org in August 1999 (while in
      Tampa, Florida) and many have learned from ever since (including many
      pro kiters, IKO, PASA instructors and many others).

      And suddenly there were many accidents (mainly due to the introduction
      of the chicken loop- I was somewhat responsible for its popularity).

      Now most of the dangers are pretty well known and very well documented

      Should a new kiter take lesson?

      Should a new kiters be certified? (IKO, PASA, Kitesurfingschool.org, etc.)

      P.S., I only want to poll the opinions of the other kiters.

      Hung.
    • Tatiana J. Pacheco
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
        I am convinced that any newbie shoud take at least two classes to avoid accidents. kiting looks pretty and smooth when others are flying but it is not the same when a new one is trying it. Kiting looks like is soft and you should be strong with the bar, but it is totally the oposite: The kite could pull you so hard and you should be very soft with the bar. Taking lessons is safer and quicker to learn...

        Tatiana Pacheco
        Hamline University,
        MN 55104
        6519173255
      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
          Absolutely lessons should be taken.
          How many? who should give the lessons?
          I think it depends on the student. I've seen very few people who could
          progress without a minium of 2 lessons. without lessons, how can you even guess
          the things that can go wrong?
          Take a lesson. Your instructor should feel confident enough to tell you that
          you need more lessons.
          Phil Burke

        • Pam S.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
            Lessons are a must Hung. I took a half day lesson(and this was after kiting all last winter on the ice.) and think that is a bare minimum. In my short time in the sport I have gotten in trouble and have seen some others do the same. Trouble is, it is hugely addictive and sometimes this affects our decision making. I shutter to think of the potential for serious injury. I love your kitesurfing school and read everything I can get my hands on. I always think safety first.

            Keep up the good work.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
              Hi there, This is my first post!! horay!!!

              I purchased a kite and thought this should be a laugh, watching
              everyone else made it look quite easy. Well nearly gave myself
              whiplash first time!!!

              Brought some DVD's and all the mags, but booked myself a lesson,
              while my other half watched me!! and not only did I have a to-die
              for instructor, it made me more confident and much more aware of
              saftey etc.

              Even though it was UKĀ£100 and we only got 1/2 day wind I cannot wait
              to do my 2 day course...just need the weather here in England!!!!

              Thanks for all the info, great group.

              And would recommend a lesson for anyone.
              Regards,
              Tx