Best of both worlds...

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2004
      I have been using the 2005 Patriot 13.8 from KiteLoose for some times
      now and have been puzzled by the kite.

      Hooked into the chicken loop, the kite behaves similar or better to any
      excellent 2004, 2005 kites: very fast, smooth, amazing depowering
      capability.

      However, when in the fixed loop or unhooked, the kite behave like a true
      "unhooked kite": pull like a truck with lots of pop-up power (even in
      very light wind if tuned properly). In the event that you haven't riden
      any modern kites, some of them can't even fly well unhooked!!!

      For me, this is an ideal kite allowing me to ride in different styles
      without having to change kite.

      I have been wondering what make the kite behaves that way and I think I
      found the answer in the curvatures of all the struts of the kite (7
      struts total and even the end struts at the wing tip curves similar to
      the other struts) and the shape of the kite.

      I would compare the Patriot to a manual transmission car: it can be as
      rough and tough as you want or as smooth and mellow as you want...

      The more I play with kite designing, the more I find that there are so
      many variables one can play with and if one can get the variables right
      (as in the case of the Patriot), one can get a very different result
      from the others...

      P.S., The only down point of the Patriot is that when you launch the
      kite unhooked, it can deliver more power than you want.... In any case,
      you can always set the trim strap to maximum depower and simply DROP THE
      BAR when the going get tough...

      P.P.S., Even with the amazing depowering capability of the Patriot I
      don't recommend launching hooked in to the chicken loop yet (until Eric
      can get it to 90% or 100% depowering capability ;-)