Re: [ksurfschool] A dangerous sport ???

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
      Hung,
      I agree with you in that the "extreme" or "dangerous"
      depiction of kiteboarding should be dropped. I kite
      in conditions of 15-20 kts and it is far from extreme.
      Above 20 kts such as yesterday here on the west coast
      of Florida and I resort to windsurfing where I have
      more experience and feel comfortable up to 35 kts. As
      with any sport, one can take it to the extreme and
      that's what gets media attention. Just look at the
      newscasters/storm chasers out on the southeast coast
      of Florida in the height of hurricane Frances. They
      even admit that they are stupid for being out there.
      Sensationalism sells and there is certainly more
      sensationalism than ever before with this hurricane.

      Also, one thing you have brought up in the past is
      that the kites need to have 90-100% depower
      capability. I don't know of any LEI kite that has
      that feature. The manufacturers need to somehow
      develop this capability.

      George

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
        I did some experiement with 80% to 90% depowerable LEI and found that
        while it is possible to do so, it would deform the leading edge during
        power stroke. So for LEI it may not be possible to do so without
        effecting the performance of the kite unless someone come up with a
        new innovation.

        Many have told me that the Seasmik kites have 100% depowerable system
        in the past but for marketing reasons, most of us have never even
        tried them.

        Some modern kite (especially 2004) depowering has improved so much now
        that I am not sure that a depowered kite (long chicken loop fully
        extended) can seriously harm a kitesurfer anymore...

        However, the best way is not to permanently hooked in to the chicken
        loop until they can come up with some new innovations.

        Unhooked riding is becoming more and more popular and that is making
        kiting safer ...

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris

      • abc17281120
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
          I have the 2004 Carinha CO2 w/ recon system. I haven't flown
          anything but these & they depower instantly if you pull the red ball.
          It basically lengthens the 2 center lines (leading edge )by 8-10 feet
          & the kite falls.