A dangerous sport ???

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      In the past, almost everyone considered kiting as a dangerous sport
      (probably due to not sufficient data nor awareness)

      Similarly, We did the same on http://kitesurfingschool.org and paid
      quite a bit of attention on safety.

      The combined effort of many kiters and manufacturers seems pay off
      nicely as most kiters and manufacturers is now aware of the safety
      issues of kiting and works on improving the safety of the sport.

      While labeling kiting as a "dangerous sport" helps kiters to be aware of
      the safety issues, it also create an "extreme", "rebellious" image of
      the sport. This "extreme", "rebellious" image of the sport may have
      been used by some local authority as an argument to ban kiting at some
      locations.

      The reality is that kiting can be a very safe sport compared to the
      others. Locally, We have been kiting around here since 1998 and until
      now haven't had a single serious accidents compare to snowboarding which
      had quite a few accidents in its first few years of introduction to the
      local scence. (last March, a snowboarding instructors hit me in the back
      while I was snowboarding with my son and I had to stay in bed for 3 weeks)

      Kiting has been mature so much now with a networks of schools across the
      globe and online information such as kitesurfingschool.org that can
      guide newbies through the safety issues of the sport.

      We will continue to spread the awareness and work on improving the
      safety issues but the information is fairly readily available now at
      schools and online sites. Maybe it's time to drop the "dangerous sport"
      label for kiting?

      Maybe it's time to use the following phrase to describe kiting safety:
      "Kiting is a reasonable safe sport as long as one follows proper safety
      guidelines ..."

      Hung.
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
        Hung,
        I agree with you in that the "extreme" or "dangerous"
        depiction of kiteboarding should be dropped. I kite
        in conditions of 15-20 kts and it is far from extreme.
        Above 20 kts such as yesterday here on the west coast
        of Florida and I resort to windsurfing where I have
        more experience and feel comfortable up to 35 kts. As
        with any sport, one can take it to the extreme and
        that's what gets media attention. Just look at the
        newscasters/storm chasers out on the southeast coast
        of Florida in the height of hurricane Frances. They
        even admit that they are stupid for being out there.
        Sensationalism sells and there is certainly more
        sensationalism than ever before with this hurricane.

        Also, one thing you have brought up in the past is
        that the kites need to have 90-100% depower
        capability. I don't know of any LEI kite that has
        that feature. The manufacturers need to somehow
        develop this capability.

        George

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
          I did some experiement with 80% to 90% depowerable LEI and found that
          while it is possible to do so, it would deform the leading edge during
          power stroke. So for LEI it may not be possible to do so without
          effecting the performance of the kite unless someone come up with a
          new innovation.

          Many have told me that the Seasmik kites have 100% depowerable system
          in the past but for marketing reasons, most of us have never even
          tried them.

          Some modern kite (especially 2004) depowering has improved so much now
          that I am not sure that a depowered kite (long chicken loop fully
          extended) can seriously harm a kitesurfer anymore...

          However, the best way is not to permanently hooked in to the chicken
          loop until they can come up with some new innovations.

          Unhooked riding is becoming more and more popular and that is making
          kiting safer ...

          Hung.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris

        • abc17281120
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            I have the 2004 Carinha CO2 w/ recon system. I haven't flown
            anything but these & they depower instantly if you pull the red ball.
            It basically lengthens the 2 center lines (leading edge )by 8-10 feet
            & the kite falls.