dont wear a leash

  • Thomas George DeMille
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2004
      I think almost everyone would highly recommend against a leash. I personally have had a board hit
      me in the back of my neck not going too fast, and another that hit my bar which happened to be in
      front of my mouth. Hit the bar so hard it put a big gash in the foam on the handle. Probably
      would have knocked out 4 or 5 teeth. AFter that I dropped the leash. Since then I have not had a
      single close call with the board.

      The next thing you should practice is body dragging to get your board. Basic principal is that
      the board will float downwind while you drag across wind in both directions. The key is to not
      move the kite too fast as you switch from one direction to the other or you will lose too much
      ground downwind. So basically, the minute you wipe you should be thinking about turning the crash
      into an immediate drag in the direction you are oriented (if possible). Kind of lay your body out
      with your legs and arms pointed straight out, like you are stretching towards the ceiling with one
      hand. Put the kite at about 45 degrees and drag in one direction for about 30 - 60 seconds. The
      key is to try to go upwind, you probably will only be going across wind, but that should do the
      trick. Then SLOWLY bring the kite up, still keeping your arm out, right as you cross to the other
      side switch directions with your legs and arms and then drag in the other direction for 30 to 60
      seconds. AT this point you should be near your board assuming you did not go on a massive downwind
      drag.

      Could also try wake bindings, they tend to keep at least one foot in the board on most wipeouts.

      I carry a knive, mine is kind of in the small of my back, basically where you carry it is
      determined by your gear, try to find a place you can get to easily. Some of the harnesses come
      with them in the small of your back.

      -=tgd=-

      =====
      Thomas DeMille, Boston MA 617-512-8674