Board Leash

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello everyone,
      I'm pretty new to kiting, took a lesson an been out 3 or 4
      times. I can get up on the board and ride both directions but still
      dump the kite a bit and havent gotten upwind. I was using a
      wakeboard before but now I got myself a nice naish board. I noticed
      it had leash attachment point on the back. Do you guys and gals
      use leashes and if so what kind. I've used a surfboard leash before
      and havent had any problems but I'm guessing if it's too short I
      could get a nice slingshot action right at me. Also does anyone
      carry one of those hook knives? if so where do you where it? On your
      harness? Thanks for your advise.

      Scott
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <wind.snow@v...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        > I'm pretty new to kiting, took a lesson an been out 3 or 4
        > times. I can get up on the board and ride both directions but still
        > dump the kite a bit and havent gotten upwind. I was using a
        > wakeboard before but now I got myself a nice naish board. I noticed
        > it had leash attachment point on the back. Do you guys and gals
        > use leashes and if so what kind. I've used a surfboard leash before
        > and havent had any problems but I'm guessing if it's too short I
        > could get a nice slingshot action right at me.

        Don't use a leash. I use a leash. FOR SURE don't use a urethane surf leash. While you're
        getting a high-speed faceplant, you board is aligning itself for a shot at your head. ...and,
        No; a longboard leash isn't any safer - you just live a nanosecond longer.

        I use a reel leash from NSI in the ocean. I've lost a board in the Atlantic because my head
        was 4" above choppy waves and I couldn't see the dark Maroon shape. I also don't like the
        damn board taking a hike down the beach in the rip while I'm stumbling out of the water
        with an angry chunk of nylon in the air. ....and, if I'm feeling lazy, or the wind is offshore
        Bayside, I may still use it. I also "always" use a helmet! ...the helmet has become like
        seatbelts in my car.

        The pisser about no-leash in the learning period is all the damn time you spend fishing for
        your board when the kite seems to always pull you the other way. Flip the board over
        while you are fixing your tie - it won't drift off quite so fast.

        Also does anyone
        > carry one of those hook knives? if so where do you where it? On your
        > harness? Thanks for your advise.

        ............I carry a machete in the truck, but haven't needed a knife in the water yet. The
        fear-dream I have: getting rolled in the shorebreak with hot lines around me...

        Scott - have fun.

        Jim
      • Bill Torreyson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
          This is my first season too. Most don't recommend a
          board leash. Try body dragging to get the up wind
          going since if you loss your board you'll be body
          dragging.

          I carry a knife, it came with my seat harness I wear.
          There is a pocket in the lower back.

          Good winds
          Bill

          --- Scott <wind.snow@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          > I'm pretty new to kiting, took a lesson an been
          > out 3 or 4
          > times. I can get up on the board and ride both
          > directions but still
          > dump the kite a bit and havent gotten upwind. I was
          > using a
          > wakeboard before but now I got myself a nice naish
          > board. I noticed
          > it had leash attachment point on the back. Do you
          > guys and gals
          > use leashes and if so what kind. I've used a
          > surfboard leash before
          > and havent had any problems but I'm guessing if it's
          > too short I
          > could get a nice slingshot action right at me. Also
          > does anyone
          > carry one of those hook knives? if so where do you
          > where it? On your
          > harness? Thanks for your advise.
          >
          > Scott

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • George Sarris
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
            I prefer to keep my hook knife on my vest. When I was
            learning the added bouyancy of the vest was a plus.
            As with any safety gear, you hope you never have to
            use it but in that off chance you need it, it can save
            you from serious injury.

            Ride safe, ride tomorrow.
            George

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush