body drag upwind and water type

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2004
      I was out in the oceean last week and got a big wipe out that I lost
      sight of my board.

      It only took me less than 5 minutes body dragging upwind to spot my
      board and retrieve it.

      The same incident on lake water would take me 15 to 30 minutes.

      What's the differences (the waves in the ocean push the board downwind
      sooner - or we one floats better in the ocean so body dragging is more
      efficient) ???

      Hung.
    • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2004
        In a message dated 8/29/2004 8:01:19 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
        hungvu2000@... writes:
        I was out in the oceean last week and got a big wipe out that I lost
        sight of my board.

        It only took me less than 5 minutes body dragging upwind to spot my
        board and retrieve it.

        The same incident on lake water would take me 15 to 30 minutes.

        What's the differences (the waves in the ocean push the board downwind
        sooner - or we one floats better in the ocean so body dragging is more
        efficient) ???

        Hung.
        I think inland waters typically have winds which shift more and are a bit
        more gusty even if it seems steady, it seems that wind at water level on lakes or
        inland bays is also not as strong or steady which may explain why I find it
        more difficult to water relaunch than in open water, last week while in a salt
        water bay surronded by land I also lost my board far out in the middle, after
        bodydragging and not being able to spot it ( its black carbon fiber and hard
        to see from water level) I landmarked where I was and body dragged to shore,
        grabbed my other board and went back out upwind of where I thought my board
        would be by then, I was surprized to find it on the first pass, according to my
        landmarks on both shores it had not drifted downwind much at all.
        Denise

        http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2004
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > I was out in the oceean last week and got a big wipe out that I lost
          > sight of my board.
          >
          > It only took me less than 5 minutes body dragging upwind to spot my
          > board and retrieve it.
          >
          > The same incident on lake water would take me 15 to 30 minutes.
          >
          > What's the differences (the waves in the ocean push the board downwind
          > sooner - or we one floats better in the ocean so body dragging is more
          > efficient) ???
          >
          > Hung.

          I leash in the ocean, but: was your board right-side up, or upside down?

          It's always been a trick to flip the board over on its back while you are standing in shallow
          water adjusting your lines so: 'an unleashed board won't drift away from you too fast'.
          They seem to take off like container ships with the fins in the water.

          As a surfer, I could only imagine a fairly steep wave could get your little board to 'surf'
          forward. Talk to your friend at MIT, there are probably too many variables to factor.

          Jim

          .....if I showed up at MIT - they'd hand me a broom.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
            >Could be a combination of bigger waves pushing the board forward
            >faster and more constant wind in the ocean making youre body
            >draging more efficient ...Just a guess :)Thanks for making my
            >kiteboarding a little easier back in tha days......

            These 2 reasons sound very reasonable and probably the main causes for
            the phenomenon I experienced.