Re: Board surface

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > I have been experimenting with many different board surface (short
      > board, wide board, narrow board, long board, etc.) and confirm the fact
      > that it's the BOARD SURFACE that is most important for a given kite size.
      >
      > Of course different board lengths and widths are more desirable for
      > different riding styles but it's board surface that dictates which kite
      > size is best for a given wind speed.
      >
      > While kite size is proportional to rider weight, board surface is
      > approximately proportional to the square root of rider weight.
      >
      > Personally, I prefer shorter/wider board for tricks and longer/narrower
      > board for high speed curising and high jumping.
      >
      > My favorite board surface is around 4400 cm2 for moderate to strong
      > wind and around 7300 cm2 for light wind. (The reason why I need a
      > larger board is because modern kites are still not powerful enough in
      > light wind; otherwise, I still prefer to use a 4400 cm2 board instead of
      > a 7300 cm2 board)
      >
      > P.S., Of course, there is a LIMIT to how short, wide, narrow, long one
      > can go...
      >
      > Hung.

      C'mon Professori - do the math for us! We're all sitting down and you're up at the board,
      so how about converting these cm's (Hell, some of us are stuck in last year's inches...) So,
      what the respective L+W of your (you're only 125lbs!) optimum sizes?

      Jim
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
        Jim,

        Forget about inches as most if not all kiteboard manufacturers in the
        world specs out their board dimension in cm (the same way, most if not
        all kite manufacturers in the world specs out their kite size in m2)

        For me, biggest is 169 x 43 (rough approx 7267 cm2), smallest is 115 x
        38 (4370 cm2) and all-around is around 140 x 38 (5320 cm2) - I have
        tried many of that size.

        The other smaller ones I have tried are the 125 x 30 (3750 cm2) simply
        TOO SMALL for comfort unless in constant moderate to strong wind and
        145 x 30 (4350 cm2) which feels OK.

        So my bottom range of board surface is around 4300 cm2, below that I
        will not feel comfortable with the wind I encounter most of the time.
        So for an average 75 kg person, the bottom range should be around
        4800 cm2 or roughly:
        125 x 38.5
        130 x 37
        135 x 35.5
        140 x 34.3

        Of course, I think I can go bigger than 7267 cm2 but then I may want a
        directional instead of a bidirectional.

        P.S., If you want to convert kiteboard dimensions and surfaces to
        inches then take a course at MIT - one of my friends teach there so I
        may be able to get you a good discount ;-)

        Hung.