A new 5th line lesson....

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2004
      Lazy f__k that I am, I absolutely LOVE the 5th line relaunch! ...but today in the Atlantic I
      got taught a lesson. ...and it's not that nobody said it before; but as a kid I always liked to
      count teeth in snakes.

      Lesson learned: "No 5th lines in strong winds." We were about 20kts and I put my 11M
      yarga in the drink and it did a back roll. It's been my experience (perhaps I am not quick
      enough after a crash) that sometimes the kite half relaunches then back flips between the
      lines. With four lines you simply have a 4-line cross-up: no biggie...

      My 5th however cleverly tied my kite into a nylon omelete. Luckily it was at the end of 3
      hours of kiting and I had plenty of energy (Oh Maaaan!..) to swim in with lines and board
      in tow.

      ...'nother session - 'nother lesson.

      ...AND: I always wear a vest, helmet and retractable board leash in the ocean. 1) I
      appreciate the extra float.. 2) I always get hit in the head in the shorebreak 3) I lost a
      perfectly good board in the Atlantic for the last fricking time!

      Someday I have to tell you about this stoopid ole BIC board that had secrets hidden
      within...

      Jim
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
        We used 5th line on snow around here since 2000 and sometimes, some of
        us doesn't even bother.

        5th line is good in light wind but in strong wind, it may not be that
        neccessary.

        Hung.