Harness adjustment and setup

  • Sara G
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
      This might seem like a stupid question... and I can ask my instructor next weekend, but
      since I haven't found any information to help me out I figured I'd ask here too.

      I just got my kite mail order and a waist harness and I don't know how to set up the
      spreader and the harness...

      The harnesses I've used before had the spreader bar through the straps on one side and a
      hook for the other side. I don't think my stuff came with the hook...

      It is a Peter Lynn waist harness and I'm used to seat harnesses, so I'm not sure how the
      waist harness is supposed to fit... but the dealer recommended it because I told him I was
      having trouble finding a seat harness in my lessons that fit around my hips but went small
      enough around my legs (basically fit a for a woman). But I see that DaKine has women's
      seat harnesses that would probably work good.

      Anyway... like I said, I can discuss all this next time I have a lesson... but I'm curious to
      know how this all works.

      Thanks,
      Sara
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
        Hi Sara
        Waist harnesses are not generally favoured by begginers, male or female. The reason is that they tend to ride up, regardless of brand, and having the spreader bar reasing and rubbing on your lower ribs is uncomfortable to say the least and potentially dangerous (broken ribs if you fall forwards on it).
        Women also complain of their chest/breasts getting pinched bruised.
        Pro-limit make a complete range of "PureGirl" harnesses in seat and waist, so do Dakine, their models are called "wahine".
        If you can meet up with any other kitesurfers or windsurfers they will be able to show you how to rig your PL waist harness, but maybe you are better to return it and get a womens seat harness?.
        What kite did you get?

        www.kitepower.com.au

[...]

        http://www.nod32.com

      • Sara Gould
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
          On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 9:30pm, Kite Power (Sydney) wrote:
          > What kite did you get?

          I got a Guerilla 2, 13m... The size is daunting! But then, the 4m
          Flexifoil Blade seemed impossibly huge the first time I saw it too.

          I'm probably going to find a seat harness. It is supposed to rain
          tomorrow, so it would be a good day to visit the (not so) local shops
          and see what I can try on.

          Sara
        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
            Definately try stuff on, before you buy, make sure you get some lessons with the G2, it flies very differently to the Blade, completely different launch and landing techniques, don't crash it in the water it can be hard to get back up.

            www.kitepower.com.au