Re: Have we reached the mass?

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > I noticed that the traffic on KiteForum, Kitesurf and ksurfschool group
      > have gone down quite drastically.
      >
      > Does it means that Kitesurfing has reached the mass such that there is
      > no need to communicate world-wide anymore and everyone is more interest
      > in participating in the local groups and fora (as the case of the Ottawa
      > group)?
      >
      > Hung.

      .........Sorry, I misread your intent. 'reaching mass' can be interpted in investing as the
      point of which you do not need more capital to maintain a lifestyle, or, as I thought it, a
      market that has become mature.

      Your number's observation may also show an occlusion of the market. Lots of the fourm
      participants have a reasonable level of expirence and perhaps do not have the desire to
      rehash basic questions - very few people seem respond to: "How do I get upwind?"
      anymore, whereas when we were all learning there seemed to be more sharing of
      information. And, either the lessons are sooo much better (or there are fewer entrants)
      but you don't even hear the question asked frequently?!

      There have been some stellar forum posters: Traig, StevieMac, Peter Frank, RickI, Tinman,
      A_Santacruz, PeteTray, dt, Dwight...come to mind, from whom we hear precious little over
      the roar of brand shills and Moonies.

      The latest revelation I had never considered (distracted by high/low aspects..) was
      something, I'll atribute to Peter Frank, is the design difference between kites used in
      Europe and the US. It not only makes sense, but would be damn handy in helping figure
      which kite better suits your conditions. I remember thinking how narrow EH's boards in
      Cabarete were when almost every other brand was wider - but if you had (hard times...) to
      kite where it blew hard every day - then you might want a board with more dig.

      .....Naaaay with BOOKS. No offense, but there's hardly anything more useless than a book
      on surfing...or skiing....or MTB'ing or any other physical activity I've participated in. The
      best 'kite education' is a few days in Cabarete watching 40-60 people 'DO IT'. There has
      never been anything written that explains how it feels to have your face planted at
      30kph...only to discover: IT'S NOT OVER!

      Cheers to you.

      Jim
    • Lissette Rojas (Venakite.com)
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
        Hi to all!!,

        I run the biggest kitesurfing comunity in Venezuela where all we do is
        promote the sport in Venezuela and all our riders through the competitions
        that we organize .. beside promoting all the schools and the best hotels in
        each spot to practice kitesurfing in Venezuela.

        For me this contact with all of you have been very helpful in many cases and
        its also a way to know what is happening around the world which I found very
        interesting and try all the time to communicate to all our community ....
        You guys are the KITE MASTERS so please dont fell discourages!!! You are
        doing a Great Job!! Thanks to all!!

        Lissette Rojas
        VEN A KITE CLUB®
        PHONE: (+58) (212) 753-2552
        MOBILE: (+58) (416) 803-2506
        Venezuela.
        WWW.VENAKITE.COM

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
          Or a request to the publishers of all the books you mentioned to get them listed or stocked by amazon, Dymocks, etc
          Kiteboarding Vision has an ISBN number and the The Flexifoil Book of Powerkiting has a refernece to it having a British Libraries listing but no number.
          Kiteboarding Vision is a very comprehensive book, the best I have seen so far.

          www.kitepower.com.au

          <sydney@k...> wrote:
          > There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am
          sure whatever you did would be good too.
          > The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new
          book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > www.kitepower.com.au

          Service.

          http://www.nod32.com

        • kennywek@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14, 2004
            Steve,

            Do you know where the book, "Kiteboarding Vision" is available for
            purchase and the price?

            Thanks,

            Bill Kenny
            kennywek@...