Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Have we reached the mass?

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
      There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am sure whatever you did would be good too.
      The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

      www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
        Thanks Steve,

        Also Ian Currer wrote "Kitesurfing the Complete Guide", John Holzhall
        wrote "Kiteboarding the Simple Plan" and Eric Marson/Menu Morel wrote
        "Kiteboard" (in French). For some reasons, all these materials
        including the ones from Flexifoil (Jeremy Boyce also published "Power
        Kiting" independent of Flexifoil) and IKO have never appeared on the
        shelves of the local book stores...

        Search for IKO on amazon.com returns: "Ultimate Mental Power -- The
        IKO-Meditation Technique"...

        Sounds like a "Kiting for Dummies" type of book is needed to make it
        available at all bookstore shelves...

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"

        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

        > http://www.nod32.com

      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > I noticed that the traffic on KiteForum, Kitesurf and ksurfschool group
          > have gone down quite drastically.
          >
          > Does it means that Kitesurfing has reached the mass such that there is
          > no need to communicate world-wide anymore and everyone is more interest
          > in participating in the local groups and fora (as the case of the Ottawa
          > group)?
          >
          > Hung.

          .........Sorry, I misread your intent. 'reaching mass' can be interpted in investing as the
          point of which you do not need more capital to maintain a lifestyle, or, as I thought it, a
          market that has become mature.

          Your number's observation may also show an occlusion of the market. Lots of the fourm
          participants have a reasonable level of expirence and perhaps do not have the desire to
          rehash basic questions - very few people seem respond to: "How do I get upwind?"
          anymore, whereas when we were all learning there seemed to be more sharing of
          information. And, either the lessons are sooo much better (or there are fewer entrants)
          but you don't even hear the question asked frequently?!

          There have been some stellar forum posters: Traig, StevieMac, Peter Frank, RickI, Tinman,
          A_Santacruz, PeteTray, dt, Dwight...come to mind, from whom we hear precious little over
          the roar of brand shills and Moonies.

          The latest revelation I had never considered (distracted by high/low aspects..) was
          something, I'll atribute to Peter Frank, is the design difference between kites used in
          Europe and the US. It not only makes sense, but would be damn handy in helping figure
          which kite better suits your conditions. I remember thinking how narrow EH's boards in
          Cabarete were when almost every other brand was wider - but if you had (hard times...) to
          kite where it blew hard every day - then you might want a board with more dig.

          .....Naaaay with BOOKS. No offense, but there's hardly anything more useless than a book
          on surfing...or skiing....or MTB'ing or any other physical activity I've participated in. The
          best 'kite education' is a few days in Cabarete watching 40-60 people 'DO IT'. There has
          never been anything written that explains how it feels to have your face planted at
          30kph...only to discover: IT'S NOT OVER!

          Cheers to you.

          Jim
        • Lissette Rojas (Venakite.com)
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
            Hi to all!!,

            I run the biggest kitesurfing comunity in Venezuela where all we do is
            promote the sport in Venezuela and all our riders through the competitions
            that we organize .. beside promoting all the schools and the best hotels in
            each spot to practice kitesurfing in Venezuela.

            For me this contact with all of you have been very helpful in many cases and
            its also a way to know what is happening around the world which I found very
            interesting and try all the time to communicate to all our community ....
            You guys are the KITE MASTERS so please dont fell discourages!!! You are
            doing a Great Job!! Thanks to all!!

            Lissette Rojas
            VEN A KITE CLUB®
            PHONE: (+58) (212) 753-2552
            MOBILE: (+58) (416) 803-2506
            Venezuela.
            WWW.VENAKITE.COM

            <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am
            sure whatever you did would be good too.
            > The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new
            book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack
            > www.kitepower.com.au

            Service.

            > http://www.nod32.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Kite Power (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
              Or a request to the publishers of all the books you mentioned to get them listed or stocked by amazon, Dymocks, etc
              Kiteboarding Vision has an ISBN number and the The Flexifoil Book of Powerkiting has a refernece to it having a British Libraries listing but no number.
              Kiteboarding Vision is a very comprehensive book, the best I have seen so far.

              www.kitepower.com.au

              <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am
              sure whatever you did would be good too.
              > The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new
              book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > www.kitepower.com.au

              Service.

              http://www.nod32.com

            • kennywek@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 14, 2004
                Steve,

                Do you know where the book, "Kiteboarding Vision" is available for
                purchase and the price?

                Thanks,

                Bill Kenny
                kennywek@...