Ok then - listen up.

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2004
      I learn something almost every time I head to the beach. I NEVER wanted to become a
      gear head but this damn kite stuff will teach you one simple thing: Take EVERYTHING you
      can carry.

      I made a sign - "Take all kites" - because I always get suckered into thinking it is either
      lighter/heavier than it is when I get there. You'll need two kites - at a min.

      Take at least two boards: light air and heavy air. The light can be a real wide TT or a
      cheap log and then your 'special' weapon.

      Yesterday, I went for a late day, end-of-weekend session. I keep about three kinds of kite
      repair material and four colors in my shop. ...and the lesson learned was: "take some tape
      with you idiot!" I ended up with a 4"/10cm tear in my canopy (which was a separate
      lesson) but the only thing I had with was waterproof Band Aids - so I used them. (Yes)

      On a previous session, I learned that if you put a sandy foot into a tight binding there's a
      good chance you will abrade your instep - hense the reason to carry Band Aids...along
      with a screwdriver, etc. etc..etc. (one of our smarter, local ladies has what looks like a
      church van chocked full of kit - and leaves it that way)

      Hey Hung: I'll bet we peaked a while back. Our local crew census is showing a net loss
      from last season. We lost a couple of long-lease retailers within the last 9 months. I've
      seen a lot of one-season kiters and few new kites outside replacements by the established
      folks - and only one Best - mine, which is for sale. (Y-11 with bar/lines $500.USD -
      perfect)

      It is interesting to watch this battle between price and features: Kia vs BMW. When I see a
      pre-season sale back on the table in peak-season and then the major brands offering new
      5th line type features the spread may become more defined. When the Kia buyers ask if
      they can put BMW-like wheels on their car, you know even discount buyers, post sale
      anyway, end up wanting something more than price.

      It's all interesting.... and frankly I'm kinda happy the masses do not know just how much
      fun this really is! I'd rather they keep thinking kitesurfing is akin to Base Jumping.

      Jim

      ....also add to your pile: a 3-5M trainer and a skimboard or boogieboard for some
      shorebreak slides.