Re: [ksurfschool] Have we reached the mass?

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
      It's been very quiet here. We're in the summer
      doldrums now on the west coast of Florida. I think
      everyone kiter in Florida except me has migrated to
      the a nice tropical windy place in the Caribbean.
      --- DeniseSEWA@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/11/2004 10:48:02 PM US Mountain
      > Standard Time,
      > bolddog@... writes:
      > Hi Hung,
      > I agree with Andre. I'm a beginner from Alameda,Ca.
      > I'm listening.
      > I agree also, keep it up, out here in the desert of
      > Arizona there isnt much
      > besides the internet, we need to keep all the
      > resources active.
      > Denise
      >
      > http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
        Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

        I was asking to see whether it's time to spread kiting to the masses
        by some other means (e.g. an inexpensive kiting book based on the
        material at kitesurfingschool.org - properly edited this time ofcourse ;-)

        But Jim seems to have slightly different experience at his local site...

        As for colder climate, it seems like nothing can stop kiting to become
        one of the dominant four season outdoor sports.

        Kiting will never be banned in colder climate (especially in the
        winter where even the cops stay inside on days where we clock over 80
        or 100 km/hr)...

        The popularity of kiting in colder climate will help to make kiting
        become more acceptable in warmer climate (there are some bans now) and
        eventually become a mainstream sport without all the hassles that some
        of us now face (as snowboarding in the past)

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
        <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
        > It's been very quiet here. We're in the summer
        > doldrums now on the west coast of Florida. I think
        > everyone kiter in Florida except me has migrated to
        > the a nice tropical windy place in the Caribbean.
        > --- DeniseSEWA@A... wrote:
        > > In a message dated 7/11/2004 10:48:02 PM US Mountain
        > > Standard Time,
        > > bolddog@y... writes:
        > > Hi Hung,
        > > I agree with Andre. I'm a beginner from Alameda,Ca.
        > > I'm listening.
        > > I agree also, keep it up, out here in the desert of
        > > Arizona there isnt much
        > > besides the internet, we need to keep all the
        > > resources active.
        > > Denise
        > >
        > > http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

        > > removed]

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
          There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am sure whatever you did would be good too.
          The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

          www.kitepower.com.au

          <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
          > It's been very quiet here. We're in the summer
          > doldrums now on the west coast of Florida. I think
          > everyone kiter in Florida except me has migrated to
          > the a nice tropical windy place in the Caribbean.
          > --- DeniseSEWA@A... wrote:
          > > In a message dated 7/11/2004 10:48:02 PM US Mountain
          > > Standard Time,
          > > bolddog@y... writes:
          > > Hi Hung,
          > > I agree with Andre. I'm a beginner from Alameda,Ca.
          > > I'm listening.
          > > I agree also, keep it up, out here in the desert of
          > > Arizona there isnt much
          > > besides the internet, we need to keep all the
          > > resources active.
          > > Denise
          > >
          > > http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

          > > removed]

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          http://www.nod32.com

        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
            Thanks Steve,

            Also Ian Currer wrote "Kitesurfing the Complete Guide", John Holzhall
            wrote "Kiteboarding the Simple Plan" and Eric Marson/Menu Morel wrote
            "Kiteboard" (in French). For some reasons, all these materials
            including the ones from Flexifoil (Jeremy Boyce also published "Power
            Kiting" independent of Flexifoil) and IKO have never appeared on the
            shelves of the local book stores...

            Search for IKO on amazon.com returns: "Ultimate Mental Power -- The
            IKO-Meditation Technique"...

            Sounds like a "Kiting for Dummies" type of book is needed to make it
            available at all bookstore shelves...

            Hung.

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"

            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

            > http://www.nod32.com

          • ex_cpe
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
              > I noticed that the traffic on KiteForum, Kitesurf and ksurfschool group
              > have gone down quite drastically.
              >
              > Does it means that Kitesurfing has reached the mass such that there is
              > no need to communicate world-wide anymore and everyone is more interest
              > in participating in the local groups and fora (as the case of the Ottawa
              > group)?
              >
              > Hung.

              .........Sorry, I misread your intent. 'reaching mass' can be interpted in investing as the
              point of which you do not need more capital to maintain a lifestyle, or, as I thought it, a
              market that has become mature.

              Your number's observation may also show an occlusion of the market. Lots of the fourm
              participants have a reasonable level of expirence and perhaps do not have the desire to
              rehash basic questions - very few people seem respond to: "How do I get upwind?"
              anymore, whereas when we were all learning there seemed to be more sharing of
              information. And, either the lessons are sooo much better (or there are fewer entrants)
              but you don't even hear the question asked frequently?!

              There have been some stellar forum posters: Traig, StevieMac, Peter Frank, RickI, Tinman,
              A_Santacruz, PeteTray, dt, Dwight...come to mind, from whom we hear precious little over
              the roar of brand shills and Moonies.

              The latest revelation I had never considered (distracted by high/low aspects..) was
              something, I'll atribute to Peter Frank, is the design difference between kites used in
              Europe and the US. It not only makes sense, but would be damn handy in helping figure
              which kite better suits your conditions. I remember thinking how narrow EH's boards in
              Cabarete were when almost every other brand was wider - but if you had (hard times...) to
              kite where it blew hard every day - then you might want a board with more dig.

              .....Naaaay with BOOKS. No offense, but there's hardly anything more useless than a book
              on surfing...or skiing....or MTB'ing or any other physical activity I've participated in. The
              best 'kite education' is a few days in Cabarete watching 40-60 people 'DO IT'. There has
              never been anything written that explains how it feels to have your face planted at
              30kph...only to discover: IT'S NOT OVER!

              Cheers to you.

              Jim
            • Lissette Rojas (Venakite.com)
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
                Hi to all!!,

                I run the biggest kitesurfing comunity in Venezuela where all we do is
                promote the sport in Venezuela and all our riders through the competitions
                that we organize .. beside promoting all the schools and the best hotels in
                each spot to practice kitesurfing in Venezuela.

                For me this contact with all of you have been very helpful in many cases and
                its also a way to know what is happening around the world which I found very
                interesting and try all the time to communicate to all our community ....
                You guys are the KITE MASTERS so please dont fell discourages!!! You are
                doing a Great Job!! Thanks to all!!

                Lissette Rojas
                VEN A KITE CLUB®
                PHONE: (+58) (212) 753-2552
                MOBILE: (+58) (416) 803-2506
                Venezuela.
                WWW.VENAKITE.COM

                <sydney@k...> wrote:
                > There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am
                sure whatever you did would be good too.
                > The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new
                book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

                > Cya and
                > Goodwinds
                > Steve McCormack
                > www.kitepower.com.au

                Service.

                > http://www.nod32.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Kite Power (Sydney)
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
                  Or a request to the publishers of all the books you mentioned to get them listed or stocked by amazon, Dymocks, etc
                  Kiteboarding Vision has an ISBN number and the The Flexifoil Book of Powerkiting has a refernece to it having a British Libraries listing but no number.
                  Kiteboarding Vision is a very comprehensive book, the best I have seen so far.

                  www.kitepower.com.au

                  <sydney@k...> wrote:
                  > There are already a couple of good books out Hung, although I am
                  sure whatever you did would be good too.
                  > The "Flexifoil book of Powerkiting" is excellent, and so is the new
                  book from the IKO called "Kiteboarding Vision".

                  > Cya and
                  > Goodwinds
                  > Steve McCormack
                  > www.kitepower.com.au

                  Service.

                  http://www.nod32.com

                • kennywek@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14, 2004
                    Steve,

                    Do you know where the book, "Kiteboarding Vision" is available for
                    purchase and the price?

                    Thanks,

                    Bill Kenny
                    kennywek@...