Waist harness fit and bar size?

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2004
      Aloha,

      Have some questions on waist harnesses and pads? First should the
      pad size match the bar size? It seems that a 10" bar with a 10" pad
      needs some adjustments when donning the harness, like the pad is
      to long.

      Second, I have been noticing in photos that some riders wear their
      harness pretty high below the chest such as the photo of
      Ben Meyer in Kiteworld issue 09 while others wear around the waist?
      Is this just personal preference for different riders or is there
      something else going on here that I am missing?

      Curious,

      John
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2004
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jjscanlon13@h...> wrote:
        > Aloha,
        >
        > Have some questions on waist harnesses and pads? First should the
        > pad size match the bar size? It seems that a 10" bar with a 10" pad
        > needs some adjustments when donning the harness, like the pad is
        > to long.

        .....I have the DaKine PYRO and it is a combo of 9"/23cm bar with 10"/25.5cm pad, and it
        seems fine - but then I've never had something to directly compare it to.. The harness is a
        Medium and I'm a 34"/86cm - also seems fine, when you'd expect I'd need a large. The
        sizes seem pretty pasta forgivable. (I have an XL PYRO for sale - complete with
        hammerhead bar and pad: $75...as new condition.)

        > Second, I have been noticing in photos that some riders wear their
        > harness pretty high below the chest such as the photo of
        > Ben Meyer in Kiteworld issue 09 while others wear around the waist?
        > Is this just personal preference for different riders or is there
        > something else going on here that I am missing?

        ......I suspect you are seeing the difference between the start of a session and the end of
        one, or light air vs. heavy air. I really wrench the thing on my waist, and in heavy air the
        hook ends up at nipple level. If I know it will be heavier air all day, then I use a seat
        harness.

        Most people here are switching to seat as they feel both their ribs and backs are suffering
        from too much kiting in a waist harness.

        The most important piece of gear I have is a helmet.

        Jim