Favorite Board & Kite

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hi all,
      I'm still pretty much a newbie at kitesurfing and I
      don't have much experience with different
      equipment/manufacturers. I have four boards. Three
      are homemade (see attachment) and one is an old
      directional. I have 3 kites - a 2001 Cabrinha BT
      15.5/21.5 (still holds air), a 2002 Airush Lift
      12.2/15.2 and a 2000 Wipika LTR 8.5/11.5.

      What I would like to know is what others are riding
      and flying and why they prefer a specific type of
      board and kite.

      Cheers,
      George (aka "Jake")

    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2004
        George,

        Here are my general comments (trying not to be biased to any company):

        1- LEI has dominated the kitesurfing scene (even the first kitesurfing
        foil company, Concept Air, has abandoned their water kites and now
        distributing Wipika LEI)

        2- Foils are still very popular among kiteskiers due to their
        exceptional speed (speed that scares..); however LEIs have become more
        and more popular among kitesnowboarders due to their ease of jumping
        and long hang time. [Note: kitesurfing speed record should be broken
        by a foil - yes, a non-water-relauncheable one - not a LEI]

        3- A smaller board needs a bigger kite and a bigger board need a
        smaller kite. Board of the same surface needs similar kite size
        (longer/narrower board is better for cruising and high jumping,
        shorter/fatter board is better for tricks).

        4- Newer kites (both foils and LEIs) are ALWAYS better than older ones
        (must be something to do with the deformation of the kite after
        months/years of use ???)

        5- For most kiters, most (if not all) modern LEI kites are good enough
        (or more than enough) for everyday kiting; however, some very well
        designed LEI kites can offer some very nice features (they are many
        but if you need them then you probably have enough experience and
        knowledge to judge and look for them...)

        6- Modern LEI kites can depower much more than older ones so make sure
        your trim strap and/or chicken loop is long enough (e.g. I am hanging
        onto 9m modern LEI in wind stronger than I normally used the 5.5 Naish
        or 6.5m LEI in the past)

        7- The current trend is to go for shorter/fatter board for tricks;
        however, longer/narrower board (of the same surface area) can hold as
        much power and the jump can be "too high for comfort".

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris