Re: How long should safety be to fully depower kite?

  • Chris Glazier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2004
      On a sliding line kite leash system, one of your 4 lines is the
      leash line. The leash line travel distance should be at least the
      same length as the leading edge of your kite (measured flat). If it
      is a little short then it will leave a little power in your kite
      because the kite will not flatten out completely. Since the stopper
      on your leash line sets this distance, just move it. If in doubt,
      remove the stopper entirely as some kiters do. It is one less thing
      to snag (but the bar can then fly even farther away toward the kite).

      Having said all that, be aware that a kite does not ever fully
      depower even when flat. In high winds it can fly like a flag and
      twirl. I have kites that just wont come down for a while.

      Chris Glazier

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...>
      wrote:
      > I have a 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip 7 (about 9m flat) that I just
      flew
      > for the second time last weekend. I was using an Airush bar with
      22'
      > leader lines. The wrist leash is attached to one steering line
      and
      > runs through a hole in the bar end.
      >
      > Both times coming in, I landed the kite on the water and
      > released the bar, which traveled about 21' down the left leader,
      > spilling the kite open, but the kite did not depower completely.
      It