How long should safety be to fully depower kite?

  • John F. Kim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2004
      I have a 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip 7 (about 9m flat) that I just flew
      for the second time last weekend. I was using an Airush bar with 22'
      leader lines. The wrist leash is attached to one steering line and
      runs through a hole in the bar end.

      Both times coming in, I landed the kite on the water and
      released the bar, which traveled about 21' down the left leader,
      spilling the kite open, but the kite did not depower completely. It
      kept pulling a bit and the second time, wrapping up the lines took a
      lot of effort. Winds that time were ranging 14 to 22 mph, but I
      landed the kite in a big wind shadow where winds were much lighter,
      maybe 7-12 mph.

      Question: is my leader line too short to safely depower this kite in
      higher winds? The leading edge is 24' long measured along the curve.
      (I know because I bought it used with very leaky bladders and had to
      replace the LE bladder before I could fly the kite.) I know a
      steering line safety is supposed to be as long as the kite's leading
      edge, but my safety system's travel is 3' shorter than the curved
      length of the leading edge.

      More importantly, I also have a 2002 Cabrinha Black Tip 9.4 (about
      12m flat). I don't know how long the leading edge is, but it must be
      longer than 24'. I'm rigging a new bar to use with this kite. To
      calculate right minimum leader (safety) length, should I measure the
      straight or curved length of the leading edge? I don't want to get
      into a situation with my larger kite where I release the bar in high
      winds and the kite goes into the corkscrew of death because the bar
      can't travel far enough up the leader line.

      --John Kim
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2004
        On a sliding line kite leash system, one of your 4 lines is the
        leash line. The leash line travel distance should be at least the
        same length as the leading edge of your kite (measured flat). If it
        is a little short then it will leave a little power in your kite
        because the kite will not flatten out completely. Since the stopper
        on your leash line sets this distance, just move it. If in doubt,
        remove the stopper entirely as some kiters do. It is one less thing
        to snag (but the bar can then fly even farther away toward the kite).

        Having said all that, be aware that a kite does not ever fully
        depower even when flat. In high winds it can fly like a flag and
        twirl. I have kites that just wont come down for a while.

        Chris Glazier

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...>