Re: Kite Safety Leash Attachment Point

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "David Alger" <DAlger@P...> wrote:
      > I had the unfortunate experience of being dragged for half a mile by
      > my kiteleash at 20 knots when it failed to deploy. I did get a sore
      > shoulder, but I hate to think what it would have been like if I were
      > dragged by my spreader bar. Very likely I would have drowned or
      > perhaps broken my back. I'll stick to the wrist, where at least I
      > can see the quick release, which I had to pull.

      I am sorry to hear about your experience, it is great that you didn't
      encounter something hard along the way. Do you have ideas as to why
      your kite didn't depower properly? Did the lines twist or tangle
      around your stopper ball or ring? What is the kite/bar model and year
      you were using?

      Many or perhaps most of the kite leash attachments that I have
      encountered will pull free if depowered if moderate to strong
      conditions. In effect, these leashes will pull away with too low a
      tension but that is another problem. That is why I always advise
      grabbing your kite leash just above the attachment point, if you have
      time, to backup the attachment with gloves on ideally.

      I haven't used wrist cuffs by choice for years for a variety of
      reasons. Having both hands free is an important one. Also, it is
      much harder to do the "Corkscrew Of Death" (COD), with a spreader bar
      attachment. The COD can easily happen in moderate to strong winds
      when the leash coming off the wrist cuff wraps over the opposite end
      of the bar making your lines uneven. In winds in the 20 mph range
      this will result in your getting pulled across the water at high
      speed in cycles as the kite corkscrews across the powezone, slams into
      the water, auto-relaunches and repeats the whole process over again.
      Eventually, you should be able to get the line unwrapped and hopefully
      before you are pulled into a hard object. Having done a few COD's I
      was happy to leave the wrist cuffs behind.

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi