RE: [ksurfschool] Weight x Kite x Wind x Board x HELP!!!

  • Sax, Steve, M.D.
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 11:14 AM
      Howdy Steve,

      I'm 225 so I know what you're in for. I recently got rid of my quiver of
      kites (8, 10, 14, and 17) and now have only a 15 and a 19 meter kite. I have
      a huge board (180 cm) and a moderate board (147 cm). I am a low intermediate
      (stay upwind, make 70% of my transitions, any jumps are minimal, accompanied
      by whimpering). I am able to kiteboard in winds from 8-24 kts with this
      setup. Above 25 kts, I would need a smaller kite, and since:
      a. that occurs rarely in Houston, TX
      b. above 25 kts mistakes are magnified
      c. I'm 48 and want to do this for at least 20 more years
      I just watch everybody else. With a 12 m kite you are going to be
      underpowered in most conditions, and when there is adequate wind it will be
      scary for a beginner; I think you need a larger kite before you switch
      boards. With your weight and good technique, you'll be able to hold down and
      edge your big board longer than your mates will think you can. Hope this
      helps. ---Steve Sax

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
        Any suggestions for harnesses (or any equipment really) for women? You
        know... My hips are wider than a guy's, but my waist and thighs are
        smaller. Someone suggested a waist harness versus a seat harness, but
        as I'm just learning I don't know which is better. Hopefully I'll get
        to try both before buying...

        Sara
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
          Hi Sara
          Pro Limit and Dakine both make female specific harnesses. I find that local girls here go 50/50 between waist and seat harnesses, seat can get uncomfortable in the crutch department, always try them on and hang off something, and waist harnesses can press on your ribs and boobs, especially if they ride up and while you are learning this is a common problem. My advice is go seat for the start, don't ignore the mens harness section some women find certain mens harnesses more comfortable than the womens models.
          Go for boards that have a narrower stance, like the North CindyPro or Underground customs.
          www.kitepower.com.au

          http://www.nod32.com