Re: Need Help to get started

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28 5:42 AM
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "btorreyson3" <btorreyson3@y...> wrote:
      > I took a 3 part lesson in Aruba and now I'm hooked. I live in NY
      > with access to a NJ beach right outside of Atlantic City. I'm
      > looking for gear to try and get start on my own. Can anyone
      > recommend any gear I need to get started.
      >
      > I'm 200 lbs, I've flown stunt kites and within 15 minutes had the
      > trainer kite down. Had a blast with the body dragging. The
      > instructor told be I have good kite control. The third lesson I had
      > a little wind day with a 9mm kite so I never did get up on the board.
      >
      > I also ski and snowboard in the winter.
      >
      > Bill

      ...........Bill: You'll get nowhere but busted with a 9M kite. It takes winds (with your
      weight) that would be dangerous at your skill level. Find a bayside location where you can
      stand, pick a 10-12kt day (gust free prefered), and get a 14-16M kite. Set the lines on
      the slow settings...use a 150+ board and you'll end up with a head full of stoke - you'll be
      looking for waterfront property at the end of the day.

      Play hard - safely.

      Jim

      BTW ....instructors are like prostitutes. They are paid to say: "You the Man!"
      (in humor...please)
    • Bill Torreyson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28 10:58 AM
        Thanks for the details, advice and words of
        encouragement.

        Need to talk to some locals on what kind of winds they
        typically deal with and find that nice flat water
        location to build up the experience level.

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/