Need Help to get started

  • btorreyson3
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2004
      I took a 3 part lesson in Aruba and now I'm hooked. I live in NY
      with access to a NJ beach right outside of Atlantic City. I'm
      looking for gear to try and get start on my own. Can anyone
      recommend any gear I need to get started.

      I'm 200 lbs, I've flown stunt kites and within 15 minutes had the
      trainer kite down. Had a blast with the body dragging. The
      instructor told be I have good kite control. The third lesson I had
      a little wind day with a 9mm kite so I never did get up on the board.

      I also ski and snowboard in the winter.

      Bill
    • Iain Wood
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26, 2004
        Bill,

        One thing my instructor said was "Strap a board on your feet and your
        kite flying will go to shit". He was right. If you get the chance of
        more instruction, or help from a more experienced kite-surfer then take
        it.

        If you decide to go it alone, then I would recommend that you get a
        smaller kite than normal. You need to be safe and confident, and it's
        easier to do with a kite that you are happy to fly. For your weight I'm
        guessing a 12-14 would be the recommended general purpose size. Go for
        a 9 instead. It will work fine in moderate winds and you can keep it
        for high wind days when you get good.

        Iain
      • Sara Gould
        Message 3 of 9 , May 26, 2004
          Bill,

          You're going to be right near Extreme Windsurfing. They're located in
          Lakes Bay just South of AC. I took my first lesson with them the weekend
          before last and hope to get another this coming weekend. Good
          instructors and some locals in the area too. I'm not sure what their
          policy is for demoing equipment, but you could find out. They're on the
          web at www.extremewindsurfing.com.

          I'm in Toms River, NJ so feel free to drop me a line off the list.

          Sara

          On Wed, 26 May 2004 9:08am, btorreyson3 wrote:
          > I took a 3 part lesson in Aruba and now I'm hooked. I live in NY
          > with access to a NJ beach right outside of Atlantic City. I'm
          > looking for gear to try and get start on my own. Can anyone
          > recommend any gear I need to get started.

        • Bill Torreyson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2004
            Thanks Iain for the words of wisdom.

            I would like to get more instruction but I'm having a
            hard time finding anything even close. Since I'm at
            the beach almost every weekend I like to give a try
            even though I know it may take alittle longer to it.
            I did purchase a instructional tape in the hope it
            could help.

            What do you think about staps or bindings for the
            board. I used straps for my lesson in Aruba.

            Thanks again
            Bill

            --- Iain Wood <d.i.wood@...> wrote:
            > Bill,
            >
            > One thing my instructor said was "Strap a board on
            > your feet and your
            > kite flying will go to shit". He was right. If you
            > get the chance of
            > more instruction, or help from a more experienced
            > kite-surfer then take
            > it.
            >
            > If you decide to go it alone, then I would recommend
            > that you get a
            > smaller kite than normal. You need to be safe and
            > confident, and it's
            > easier to do with a kite that you are happy to fly.
            > For your weight I'm
            > guessing a 12-14 would be the recommended general
            > purpose size. Go for
            > a 9 instead. It will work fine in moderate winds and
            > you can keep it
            > for high wind days when you get good.
            >
            > Iain

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • mopman365
            Message 5 of 9 , May 27, 2004
              > I'm 200 lbs, I've flown stunt kites and within 15 minutes had the
              > trainer kite down. Had a blast with the body dragging. The
              > instructor told be I have good kite control. The third lesson I
              had
              > a little wind day with a 9mm kite so I never did get up on the
              board.

              Hi Bill,

              I weigh the same as you. Trust me, with a 9mm kite you're going
              nowhere ;-).
              It sounds to me like you have the kite skills to try the board now.
              But:

              > For your
              > weight I'm
              > guessing a 12-14 would be the recommended general purpose
              > size. Go for
              > a 9 instead.

              I wouldn't. To get your weight out the water with a 9m kite will
              take more than 18 knots of wind. Small kites in heavy winds is
              tricky. I'd check with the locals and find out what size they use
              most (ask someone that's same weight as you). Then get a free-ride
              kite like Boxer / Aero 2 / Wook / Vegas / whatever of that size BUT,
              start flying it in lighter winds initially. Keep in mind that you'll
              need a bit more power to get onto the board the first few sessions.
              Get a helmet, no board leash, emergency release chicken loop, and
              have fun.

              Cheers

              André
            • Iain Wood
              Message 6 of 9 , May 27, 2004
                On 27 May 2004, at 01:43, Bill Torreyson wrote:

                > What do you think about staps or bindings for the
                > board. I used straps for my lesson in Aruba.

                Go with straps. I can't imagine using bindings is that easy even when
                you can fly the kite blindfold. Never tried though. Anyone else have
                experience of bindings?

                Iain
              • Bill Torreyson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 27, 2004
                  Thanks Andre for that info.

                  I found a place near where I go to the beach so I'll
                  ask them about wind conditions and a recommendation
                  for kite size.

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • ex_cpe
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 28, 2004
                    --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "btorreyson3" <btorreyson3@y...> wrote:
                    > I took a 3 part lesson in Aruba and now I'm hooked. I live in NY
                    > with access to a NJ beach right outside of Atlantic City. I'm
                    > looking for gear to try and get start on my own. Can anyone
                    > recommend any gear I need to get started.
                    >
                    > I'm 200 lbs, I've flown stunt kites and within 15 minutes had the
                    > trainer kite down. Had a blast with the body dragging. The
                    > instructor told be I have good kite control. The third lesson I had
                    > a little wind day with a 9mm kite so I never did get up on the board.
                    >
                    > I also ski and snowboard in the winter.
                    >
                    > Bill

                    ...........Bill: You'll get nowhere but busted with a 9M kite. It takes winds (with your
                    weight) that would be dangerous at your skill level. Find a bayside location where you can
                    stand, pick a 10-12kt day (gust free prefered), and get a 14-16M kite. Set the lines on
                    the slow settings...use a 150+ board and you'll end up with a head full of stoke - you'll be
                    looking for waterfront property at the end of the day.

                    Play hard - safely.

                    Jim

                    BTW ....instructors are like prostitutes. They are paid to say: "You the Man!"
                    (in humor...please)
                  • Bill Torreyson
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 28, 2004
                      Thanks for the details, advice and words of
                      encouragement.

                      Need to talk to some locals on what kind of winds they
                      typically deal with and find that nice flat water
                      location to build up the experience level.

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/