Re: Safe kite size to fly on land? Recommended larger trainer?

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 11 , May 19 9:26 AM
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...> wrote:
      > Hello KiteSchool... Five questions. Feel free to answer just one or
      > two--don't need to try to answer all 5!
      >
      > 1) What is the maximum LEI kite size that is safe to fly on land?
      > I'd like to do some land practice and it's not always easy for me to
      > get to the beach for practice. I weigh 195 lbs (about 87 kilos) and
      > wind where I'm looking at doing this in has winds ranging from 8 to
      > 18 miles per hour, with wind spending most of the time in the 9 to 14
      > mph range, but potential gusts up to 20 mph on some days.
      >
      > I took a land-based class with a 2004 Cabrinha CO2 5m kite with winds
      > ranging from 12 to 18 mph and I felt like I was not in any danger of
      > being lofted. When I took the kite into the power zone during gusts,
      > it did pull me long the ground a little bit until I dug in my feet,
      > so in a stronger gust or if I were not prepared, the 5m CO2 could
      > have pulled me off my feet. In this case the sheeting system was
      > pulled all the way in (max depower) but I was not hooked in (more
      > power). Could I safely use a 7m or 9m LEI kite on land in 8 to 18mph
      > wind (not hooked in), or is that too big to fool around with on land?

      Normally, I would say a 5 m LEI is about the largest sized kite to
      considering using on land for training. The idea is to spend a fair
      amount of time on a trainer kite to learn basic kite control. Then to
      move on to a 5 m on leaders only or perhaps 15 m lines ( you could use
      a 30 m line set folded in half). Then off to the water with anything
      much larger than that for body dragging. You can only gain so much
      useful experience on land with in water kiteboarding in mind. Can you
      try this with a larger kite on land? Sure you can but the odds of
      damaging your expensive kite, yourself, bystanders or our access go
      WAY up.

      For in-water training, make sure:

      1. You are using a tested, reliable kite leash.

      2. Winds are side or side onshore shore and NOT onshore or offshore
      and ideally around 10 to 15 kts. max.

      3. Your type and size kite are appropriate for the wind and gust
      range per the manufacturer's table. Your kite should be in the lower
      to mid range per the manufacturers spec's. and NOT in the upper range.
      Exceesively gusty conditions should be avoided.

      4.. There are NO bystanders within a 300 ft. (100 m) downwind buffer
      zone at all times ideally.

      > 2) What is a good "larger" trainer kite, I have been using a T-foil 1-
      > meter trainer kite and want a larger foil trainer. My options seem
      > to be the T-foil 4-meter kite, the Slingshot Wasp 2, or the Slingshot
      > B2 or B3. Again, normal wind range 8 to 18 miles per hour where I
      > like to practice.

      I would guess that any of those should work. Although when it comes
      to foil trainer kites around 2 m is normally fine. The power and
      flight characteristics of the trainer are NOT that similar to actual
      LEI. So, unless you wanted a larger trainer kite for land or snow
      kiteboarding, I wouldn't bother getting something more powerful for
      training for water kiteboarding.

      > 3)Are some trainers significantly better than others? The 1m T-foil
      > is a lot of fun to fly but luffs badly during lulls, sometimes
      > inverting and doing a "falling leaf" imitation until either the wind
      > picks up again or I yank on the bar to fill it up again. Do all foil
      > trainers do this in lulls?

      > 4) Can 2-line foil trainers be re-launched on land if they crash
      > leading-edge down? I generally cannot re-launch my 2-line T-foil
      > this way, though if it crashes on trailing edge or side, sometimes I
      > can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the LE-
      > down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?

      I think you would need a fifth line or some other reverse launch
      provision.

      > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking lot or grass)
      > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if you swim towards
      > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly pulling on the front
      > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the water will hold
      > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you can roll it up on
      > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window, and re-launch. But
      > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its LE and keep
      > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its back?

      You can relaunch an LEI on land this way but it will increase the wear
      and tear on the kite.

      > --John Kim
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19 10:03 AM
        If the winds are fairly steady where you normally
        would fly your kite, then with your weight you could
        possibly fly up to a 20m LEI kite at winds of 9 to 12
        kts, and maybe up to 14 kts depending on how much you
        can depower the kite. If you are not hooked in to a
        chicken loop then you are limited to the depower you
        can achieve by the strap adjustment and the line
        attachment points at the kite. Gusty conditions are
        what causes most lofting. Also, one problem you might
        have on land is if you momentarily lose control of the
        kite and it flies across the power zone, you could be
        dragged and on land that can prove dangerous. I would
        recommend that you practice on a beach with nice soft
        water downwind. Also, on the water you can practice
        body dragging and learn to go upwind body dragging.
        If you lose your board, that will come in very handy
        to be able to body drag back upwind to it.

        Above all keep safety first.

        Cheers,
        George

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
      • Sara Gould
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19 11:24 AM
          Hi John,

          I'm going to offer a varying opinion here...

          I had my first lesson last weekend and have had kites on the brain since
          I left the water. I got as far as body dragging, so expert kite surfer,
          I am not.

          However, I've been flying 4 line power kites for 2 years now, and I have
          to say the experience helped me understand the kite part of kite surfing
          quite well.

          I fly SkyTigers of various sizes (26sq ft to 60sq ft). These are ram
          air type kites and used often for buggying, or in my case skudding on
          the beach, or kite skating (on grass with allterrain rollerblades).

          If you've got room to fly, but no water I'd suggest getting something
          more sophisticated than a trainer... Especially if you're interested in
          kites for the sake of kites, not just for kite surfing. :)

          One thing I found though, I fly with 2 handles instead of a bar... This
          gives a lot more control as you can change the angle of attack just by
          the angle you hold the handle at. I haven't tried using a bar instead
          yet... But the handles also allow relaunching really easily when the
          kite lands leading edge down.

          www.cobrakites.com sells the SkyTigers that I use.

          Sara
        • Andre Ethier
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19 12:08 PM
            I've been flying a 6m kite on land "grassy field" and
            I haven't found any problems. Remember that it isn't
            average wind speed you should worry about it's the
            gusts. Trainer kites are great for beginners but once
            you know how to fly a trainer kite you should move on
            to 4 line foil or lei kites.

            Although most lei kites can't be relaunched on a low
            resistance flat surfaces, Windwing has developed kites
            that do just that. Check out their JumpStart launch
            system, I haven't tried it but it looks good.
            http://www.windwing.com/Jumpstart

            Cheers

            ---------------------------------

            wrote:
> [...]
            5th) line?

            > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking
            lot or grass)
            > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if
            you swim
            towards
            > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly
            pulling on the
            front
            > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the
            water will hold
            > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you
            can roll it up
            on
            > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window,
            and re-launch.
            But
            > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its
            LE and keep
            > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its

            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Terms of Service.

          • Iain Wood
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20 4:17 AM
              On 19 May 2004, at 17:26, flkitesurfer wrote:
              >> 4) Can 2-line foil trainers be re-launched on land if they crash
              >> leading-edge down? I generally cannot re-launch my 2-line T-foil
              >> this way, though if it crashes on trailing edge or side, sometimes I
              >> can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the LE-
              >> down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?
              >
              > I think you would need a fifth line or some other reverse launch
              > provision.

              A 4 line foil will re-launch easily whichever way up it lands. LE
              down, then pull on the brake lines and it should fly backwards off the
              ground. Because it is pretty unstable it will usually flip round, at
              which point you release the brakes and off she goes. You can encourage
              the flip by a bit of steering input at the same time as pulling on the
              brakes. This is one of the major advantages of foils.

              Iain
            • John F. Kim
              Message 6 of 11 , May 21 6:09 PM
                First, big thanks to Chris, George, Sara, Andre, Iain, and
                flkitesurfer for responding to my questions. Very helpful!

                Second, I took my first water lesson yesterday, and while I
                wasn't quite able to get the water start down, I did get my upwind
                body dragging down and felt pretty good about steering the kite.
                Even when I got lost control of the kite, got hauled out of the water
                (not very high) and skipped across the water (both right side up and
                upside down), I was able to keep the kite flying most of the time.
                Crashing it on leading edge about 4 times, was able to re-launch it
                fairly easily each time with the Recon system.

                Quick summary of conditions:
                --San Francisco Bay, Alameda, 5:30pm PDT
                --About one mile NorthWest of Alameda beach with Waverunner support
                --Cabrinha Access 9m 4-line LEI kite with 20 or 25m lines
                --45 or 48cm Cabrinha bar with PowerLock and Recon system
                --4/3 wetsuit, porous gloves, PFD, Pro-Tec WakePro helmet, seat
                harness was XL (ProLimit?), which turned out to be too big.
                --Wind speed average 15mph, gusts up to 22 mph; chop 6"-18"
                --Cabrinha twintip board, 158cm, model unknown, sandal bindings
                --Experienced kiters were using 11m and 12m kites, later 14m kites as
                wind died down.
                --Student is 195 lbs with some surfing, windsurfing and snowboarding
                experience but no previous water kiting experience.
                --Lesson from www.kitewindsurf.com (good guys, and gals)

                Based on this one water lesson I have concluded...
                --I do not want to fly my 9m LEI kite on land in 15mph winds because
                it could hauled me around in a gust
                --I need to learn to re-launch kite without using Recon system (by
                swimming towards the kite)
                --Recon emergency depower system great if you are concious
                --Waverunner/jetski support very helpful, may increase lesson cost
                --Basic kite easier than expected (trainer practice helps)
                --Skillful kite flying harder than expected
                --Body dragging upwind easier than expected for me
                --Waterstarting harder than expected for me (was very much like the
                one time I tried wakeboarding)
                --Getting hauled out of water by kite quite fun (nothing dangerous
                downwind) except when leads to swallowing seawater
                --Cabrinha PowerLock great except easy to engage by mistake, takes
                active thought to disengage it (surely becomes intuitive with
                practice)
                --Having leash that allows bar spinning is very nice for untwisting
                lines (my own bar leash wrist safety does not allow easy bar spinning)
                --I'm really close to being able to waterstart, I think...

                As advised by several people, at this point buying a larger foil kite
                just to practice with on land for kitesurfing no longer makes sense
                for me. I will still enjoy flying my 1m foil for fun and may buy a
                2m foil kite as a recreational kite, but unless I get into kiteskiing
                or kitebuggying or mountain boards, I need to practice with the LEI
                kite on (or at least near) the water.

                First hand safety system experience. On my last attempt to
                waterstart, I lost control of the kite and dove it through
                the power window. As happened several times, I got hauled out of
                then along the water, but this time my harness slipped down around my
                legs and the chicken loop donkey dick came out of the hook, detaching
                me from the kite and sheeting it out to full power. I had kite close
                to neutral but was hanging onto the bar only and being dragged along
                slowly. I kicked off the harness but didn't want to let go of bar
                because then we'd have a runaway kite. Instructor advised activating
                Recon safety which depowered kite about 85% and it slowly landed,
                where it retained 5 to 15% power depending which way it was
                flapping. I slowly wound in the lines then practiced self-rescue
                with the kite.

                In retrospect I should have pulled in the sheeting system to see if
                that reduced power enough for me to comfortably hang onto the kite,
                but even then I could not have reattached the chicken loop because I
                had no more harness! Instructor picked up harness and board, we
                wrapped up kite and called it a day.

                I tried once to re-launch the crashed kite without using Recon, but
                it didn't work. I think I didn't swim hard enough towards the kite
                to make it flip over on its back. Actually in a few cases it crashed
                on its side and I was able to relaunch it just using the bar.

                All in all a great experience and I certainly would recommend
                KiteWindSurf if you are looking for lessons in the San Francisco Bay
                area.

                --John Kim

                wrote:
                > Hello KiteSchool... Five questions. Feel free to answer just one
                or
                > two--don't need to try to answer all 5!
                >
                > 1) What is the maximum LEI kite size that is safe to fly on land?
                > I'd like to do some land practice and it's not always easy for me
                > get to the beach for practice. I weigh 195 lbs (about 87 kilos)
                and
              • Chris Glazier
                Message 7 of 11 , May 23 8:05 PM
                  Nice report John. It sounds like a successful first lesson. Good
                  luck and have fun.
                  Chris G.