Re: Safe kite size to fly on land? Recommended larger trainer?

  • Chris Glazier
    Message 1 of 11 , May 19, 2004
      At your weight you should be able to fly a 7 or 9 meter lei kite on
      the beach when the wind is under 20mph. The most important thing is
      to have soft sand downwind of you as opposed to rocks or logs. Do
      not jump very high.

      Don't waste money on trainer kites at your stage. You can buy a used
      lei for not much more $ and it is way more realistic.

      When a lei kite is leading edge down on a smooth surface like snow
      or ice it cannot be relaunched normally since it slides too much.
      The best place to practise relaunching is in shallow water.

      :-)
      Chris Glazier

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello KiteSchool... Five questions. Feel free to answer just one
      or
      > two--don't need to try to answer all 5!
      >
      > 1) What is the maximum LEI kite size that is safe to fly on land?
      > I'd like to do some land practice and it's not always easy for me
      > get to the beach for practice. I weigh 195 lbs (about 87 kilos)
      and
      > wind where I'm looking at doing this in has winds ranging from 8
      > 18 miles per hour, with wind spending most of the time in the 9 to
      14
      > mph range, but potential gusts up to 20 mph on some days.
      >
      > I took a land-based class with a 2004 Cabrinha CO2 5m kite with
      winds
      > ranging from 12 to 18 mph and I felt like I was not in any danger
      of
      > being lofted. When I took the kite into the power zone during
      gusts,
      > it did pull me long the ground a little bit until I dug in my
      feet,
      > so in a stronger gust or if I were not prepared, the 5m CO2 could
      > have pulled me off my feet. In this case the sheeting system was
      > pulled all the way in (max depower) but I was not hooked in (more
      > power). Could I safely use a 7m or 9m LEI kite on land in 8 to
      18mph
      > wind (not hooked in), or is that too big to fool around with on
      land?

      > 2) What is a good "larger" trainer kite, I have been using a T-
      foil 1-
      > meter trainer kite and want a larger foil trainer. My options
      seem
      > to be the T-foil 4-meter kite, the Slingshot Wasp 2, or the
      Slingshot
      > B2 or B3. Again, normal wind range 8 to 18 miles per hour where I
      > like to practice.
      >
      > 3)Are some trainers significantly better than others? The 1m T-
      foil
      > is a lot of fun to fly but luffs badly during lulls, sometimes
      > inverting and doing a "falling leaf" imitation until either the
      wind
      > picks up again or I yank on the bar to fill it up again. Do all
      foil
      > trainers do this in lulls?
      >
      > 4) Can 2-line foil trainers be re-launched on land if they crash
      > leading-edge down? I generally cannot re-launch my 2-line T-foil
      > this way, though if it crashes on trailing edge or side, sometimes
      > can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the
      LE-
      > down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?
      >
      > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking lot or grass)
      > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if you swim
      towards
      > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly pulling on the
      front
      > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the water will hold
      > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you can roll it up
      on
      > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window, and re-launch.
      But
      > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its LE and keep
      > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its back?
      >
      > --John Kim
    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2004
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...> wrote:
        > Hello KiteSchool... Five questions. Feel free to answer just one or
        > two--don't need to try to answer all 5!
        >
        > 1) What is the maximum LEI kite size that is safe to fly on land?
        > I'd like to do some land practice and it's not always easy for me to
        > get to the beach for practice. I weigh 195 lbs (about 87 kilos) and
        > wind where I'm looking at doing this in has winds ranging from 8 to
        > 18 miles per hour, with wind spending most of the time in the 9 to 14
        > mph range, but potential gusts up to 20 mph on some days.
        >
        > I took a land-based class with a 2004 Cabrinha CO2 5m kite with winds
        > ranging from 12 to 18 mph and I felt like I was not in any danger of
        > being lofted. When I took the kite into the power zone during gusts,
        > it did pull me long the ground a little bit until I dug in my feet,
        > so in a stronger gust or if I were not prepared, the 5m CO2 could
        > have pulled me off my feet. In this case the sheeting system was
        > pulled all the way in (max depower) but I was not hooked in (more
        > power). Could I safely use a 7m or 9m LEI kite on land in 8 to 18mph
        > wind (not hooked in), or is that too big to fool around with on land?

        Normally, I would say a 5 m LEI is about the largest sized kite to
        considering using on land for training. The idea is to spend a fair
        amount of time on a trainer kite to learn basic kite control. Then to
        move on to a 5 m on leaders only or perhaps 15 m lines ( you could use
        a 30 m line set folded in half). Then off to the water with anything
        much larger than that for body dragging. You can only gain so much
        useful experience on land with in water kiteboarding in mind. Can you
        try this with a larger kite on land? Sure you can but the odds of
        damaging your expensive kite, yourself, bystanders or our access go
        WAY up.

        For in-water training, make sure:

        1. You are using a tested, reliable kite leash.

        2. Winds are side or side onshore shore and NOT onshore or offshore
        and ideally around 10 to 15 kts. max.

        3. Your type and size kite are appropriate for the wind and gust
        range per the manufacturer's table. Your kite should be in the lower
        to mid range per the manufacturers spec's. and NOT in the upper range.
        Exceesively gusty conditions should be avoided.

        4.. There are NO bystanders within a 300 ft. (100 m) downwind buffer
        zone at all times ideally.

        > 2) What is a good "larger" trainer kite, I have been using a T-foil 1-
        > meter trainer kite and want a larger foil trainer. My options seem
        > to be the T-foil 4-meter kite, the Slingshot Wasp 2, or the Slingshot
        > B2 or B3. Again, normal wind range 8 to 18 miles per hour where I
        > like to practice.

        I would guess that any of those should work. Although when it comes
        to foil trainer kites around 2 m is normally fine. The power and
        flight characteristics of the trainer are NOT that similar to actual
        LEI. So, unless you wanted a larger trainer kite for land or snow
        kiteboarding, I wouldn't bother getting something more powerful for
        training for water kiteboarding.

        > 3)Are some trainers significantly better than others? The 1m T-foil
        > is a lot of fun to fly but luffs badly during lulls, sometimes
        > inverting and doing a "falling leaf" imitation until either the wind
        > picks up again or I yank on the bar to fill it up again. Do all foil
        > trainers do this in lulls?

        > 4) Can 2-line foil trainers be re-launched on land if they crash
        > leading-edge down? I generally cannot re-launch my 2-line T-foil
        > this way, though if it crashes on trailing edge or side, sometimes I
        > can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the LE-
        > down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?

        I think you would need a fifth line or some other reverse launch
        provision.

        > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking lot or grass)
        > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if you swim towards
        > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly pulling on the front
        > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the water will hold
        > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you can roll it up on
        > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window, and re-launch. But
        > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its LE and keep
        > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its back?

        You can relaunch an LEI on land this way but it will increase the wear
        and tear on the kite.

        > --John Kim
      • flkitesurfer
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2004
> [...]

          > can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the LE-
          > down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?

          I think you would need a fifth line or some other reverse launch
          provision.

          > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking lot or grass)
          > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if you swim towards
          > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly pulling on the front
          > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the water will hold
          > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you can roll it up on
          > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window, and re-launch. But
          > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its LE and keep
          > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its back?

          You can relaunch an LEI on land this way but it will increase the wear

        • flkitesurfer
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2004
> [...]

            > can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the LE-
            > down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?

            I think you would need a fifth line or some other reverse launch
            provision.

            > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking lot or grass)
            > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if you swim towards
            > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly pulling on the front
            > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the water will hold
            > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you can roll it up on
            > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window, and re-launch. But
            > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its LE and keep
            > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its back?

            You can relaunch an LEI on land this way but it will increase the wear

          • George Sarris
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2004
              If the winds are fairly steady where you normally
              would fly your kite, then with your weight you could
              possibly fly up to a 20m LEI kite at winds of 9 to 12
              kts, and maybe up to 14 kts depending on how much you
              can depower the kite. If you are not hooked in to a
              chicken loop then you are limited to the depower you
              can achieve by the strap adjustment and the line
              attachment points at the kite. Gusty conditions are
              what causes most lofting. Also, one problem you might
              have on land is if you momentarily lose control of the
              kite and it flies across the power zone, you could be
              dragged and on land that can prove dangerous. I would
              recommend that you practice on a beach with nice soft
              water downwind. Also, on the water you can practice
              body dragging and learn to go upwind body dragging.
              If you lose your board, that will come in very handy
              to be able to body drag back upwind to it.

              Above all keep safety first.

              Cheers,
              George

              http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
            • Sara Gould
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2004
                Hi John,

                I'm going to offer a varying opinion here...

                I had my first lesson last weekend and have had kites on the brain since
                I left the water. I got as far as body dragging, so expert kite surfer,
                I am not.

                However, I've been flying 4 line power kites for 2 years now, and I have
                to say the experience helped me understand the kite part of kite surfing
                quite well.

                I fly SkyTigers of various sizes (26sq ft to 60sq ft). These are ram
                air type kites and used often for buggying, or in my case skudding on
                the beach, or kite skating (on grass with allterrain rollerblades).

                If you've got room to fly, but no water I'd suggest getting something
                more sophisticated than a trainer... Especially if you're interested in
                kites for the sake of kites, not just for kite surfing. :)

                One thing I found though, I fly with 2 handles instead of a bar... This
                gives a lot more control as you can change the angle of attack just by
                the angle you hold the handle at. I haven't tried using a bar instead
                yet... But the handles also allow relaunching really easily when the
                kite lands leading edge down.

                www.cobrakites.com sells the SkyTigers that I use.

                Sara
              • Andre Ethier
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2004
                  I've been flying a 6m kite on land "grassy field" and
                  I haven't found any problems. Remember that it isn't
                  average wind speed you should worry about it's the
                  gusts. Trainer kites are great for beginners but once
                  you know how to fly a trainer kite you should move on
                  to 4 line foil or lei kites.

                  Although most lei kites can't be relaunched on a low
                  resistance flat surfaces, Windwing has developed kites
                  that do just that. Check out their JumpStart launch
                  system, I haven't tried it but it looks good.
                  http://www.windwing.com/Jumpstart

                  Cheers

                  ---------------------------------

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  5th) line?

                  > 5) Can a LEI be re-launched on smooth land (parking
                  lot or grass)
                  > when it crashes leading edge down? It seems that if
                  you swim
                  towards
                  > the kite in the water with enough wind (possibly
                  pulling on the
                  front
                  > lines), the friction and/or surface tension of the
                  water will hold
                  > the LE so the kite can flip on it's back, then you
                  can roll it up
                  on
                  > its side, work it to the edge of the wind window,
                  and re-launch.
                  But
                  > on smooth land, wouldn't the kite just stay on its
                  LE and keep
                  > sliding away from you instead of flipping onto its

                  answers
                  to the most frequently asked questions.

                  To unsubscribe, please send an email to
                  ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                  To subscribe, please send an email to
                  ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  Terms of Service.

                • Iain Wood
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20, 2004
                    On 19 May 2004, at 17:26, flkitesurfer wrote:
                    >> 4) Can 2-line foil trainers be re-launched on land if they crash
                    >> leading-edge down? I generally cannot re-launch my 2-line T-foil
                    >> this way, though if it crashes on trailing edge or side, sometimes I
                    >> can relaunch it. Can any 2-line trainers be re-launched from the LE-
                    >> down position or does this always require a 3rd (or 5th) line?
                    >
                    > I think you would need a fifth line or some other reverse launch
                    > provision.

                    A 4 line foil will re-launch easily whichever way up it lands. LE
                    down, then pull on the brake lines and it should fly backwards off the
                    ground. Because it is pretty unstable it will usually flip round, at
                    which point you release the brakes and off she goes. You can encourage
                    the flip by a bit of steering input at the same time as pulling on the
                    brakes. This is one of the major advantages of foils.

                    Iain
                  • John F. Kim
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 21, 2004
                      First, big thanks to Chris, George, Sara, Andre, Iain, and
                      flkitesurfer for responding to my questions. Very helpful!

                      Second, I took my first water lesson yesterday, and while I
                      wasn't quite able to get the water start down, I did get my upwind
                      body dragging down and felt pretty good about steering the kite.
                      Even when I got lost control of the kite, got hauled out of the water
                      (not very high) and skipped across the water (both right side up and
                      upside down), I was able to keep the kite flying most of the time.
                      Crashing it on leading edge about 4 times, was able to re-launch it
                      fairly easily each time with the Recon system.

                      Quick summary of conditions:
                      --San Francisco Bay, Alameda, 5:30pm PDT
                      --About one mile NorthWest of Alameda beach with Waverunner support
                      --Cabrinha Access 9m 4-line LEI kite with 20 or 25m lines
                      --45 or 48cm Cabrinha bar with PowerLock and Recon system
                      --4/3 wetsuit, porous gloves, PFD, Pro-Tec WakePro helmet, seat
                      harness was XL (ProLimit?), which turned out to be too big.
                      --Wind speed average 15mph, gusts up to 22 mph; chop 6"-18"
                      --Cabrinha twintip board, 158cm, model unknown, sandal bindings
                      --Experienced kiters were using 11m and 12m kites, later 14m kites as
                      wind died down.
                      --Student is 195 lbs with some surfing, windsurfing and snowboarding
                      experience but no previous water kiting experience.
                      --Lesson from www.kitewindsurf.com (good guys, and gals)

                      Based on this one water lesson I have concluded...
                      --I do not want to fly my 9m LEI kite on land in 15mph winds because
                      it could hauled me around in a gust
                      --I need to learn to re-launch kite without using Recon system (by
                      swimming towards the kite)
                      --Recon emergency depower system great if you are concious
                      --Waverunner/jetski support very helpful, may increase lesson cost
                      --Basic kite easier than expected (trainer practice helps)
                      --Skillful kite flying harder than expected
                      --Body dragging upwind easier than expected for me
                      --Waterstarting harder than expected for me (was very much like the
                      one time I tried wakeboarding)
                      --Getting hauled out of water by kite quite fun (nothing dangerous
                      downwind) except when leads to swallowing seawater
                      --Cabrinha PowerLock great except easy to engage by mistake, takes
                      active thought to disengage it (surely becomes intuitive with
                      practice)
                      --Having leash that allows bar spinning is very nice for untwisting
                      lines (my own bar leash wrist safety does not allow easy bar spinning)
                      --I'm really close to being able to waterstart, I think...

                      As advised by several people, at this point buying a larger foil kite
                      just to practice with on land for kitesurfing no longer makes sense
                      for me. I will still enjoy flying my 1m foil for fun and may buy a
                      2m foil kite as a recreational kite, but unless I get into kiteskiing
                      or kitebuggying or mountain boards, I need to practice with the LEI
                      kite on (or at least near) the water.

                      First hand safety system experience. On my last attempt to
                      waterstart, I lost control of the kite and dove it through
                      the power window. As happened several times, I got hauled out of
                      then along the water, but this time my harness slipped down around my
                      legs and the chicken loop donkey dick came out of the hook, detaching
                      me from the kite and sheeting it out to full power. I had kite close
                      to neutral but was hanging onto the bar only and being dragged along
                      slowly. I kicked off the harness but didn't want to let go of bar
                      because then we'd have a runaway kite. Instructor advised activating
                      Recon safety which depowered kite about 85% and it slowly landed,
                      where it retained 5 to 15% power depending which way it was
                      flapping. I slowly wound in the lines then practiced self-rescue
                      with the kite.

                      In retrospect I should have pulled in the sheeting system to see if
                      that reduced power enough for me to comfortably hang onto the kite,
                      but even then I could not have reattached the chicken loop because I
                      had no more harness! Instructor picked up harness and board, we
                      wrapped up kite and called it a day.

                      I tried once to re-launch the crashed kite without using Recon, but
                      it didn't work. I think I didn't swim hard enough towards the kite
                      to make it flip over on its back. Actually in a few cases it crashed
                      on its side and I was able to relaunch it just using the bar.

                      All in all a great experience and I certainly would recommend
                      KiteWindSurf if you are looking for lessons in the San Francisco Bay
                      area.

                      --John Kim

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 23, 2004
                        Nice report John. It sounds like a successful first lesson. Good
                        luck and have fun.
                        Chris G.