Re: [ksurfschool] What happens if kite bladder fails out on the water?

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      Hi John
      The Cabrinha bladders in that model are faulty, they are made from a material that is apparently attractive to certain bacteria, and they eat the stuff so that small pinholes appear all over the bladders. I saw it in some other brands of bladders too, around that time.
      It is probably worth calling Cabrinha dealers to see if they have any replacement bladders laying around. Failing that go to a big shop with the faulty bladders and match them to the bladders from another brand. Replacemements can be too big in diameter, and excess length can be trimmed with a bag sealer.
      There is a mod you can do to the tips to make the kite steer better, but It was only worth doing on the bigger kites, the 7 should be ok to fly.
      If you leading edge goes flat the kite will not fly, it more than one strut goes flat the kite can misbehave, and may not fly, especially if more than 2 are flat.
      Search around you will find something to replace them, for sure.
      www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2004
        I had the same problem with my 21m BT about two years
        ago. Cabrinha would not provide free replacements
        either but I was able to get them at cost from one of
        their distributors in South Florida. They were the
        2002 bladders and I had to pay about 1/2 of what they
        would normally cost. You may want to try to contact a
        local distributor to see if they would offer you some
        kind of discount before purchasing elsewhere.

        Also, when you insert the new bladders make sure the
        the kite is very dry and super clean (no sand or other
        debris). Be sure to use alot of talcum powder prior
        to putting in the bladders and inflate them about 3/4
        full a few times to make sure they are in properly
        without any twists.
        --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>