Re: Cabrinha 2001 Black tip bladder--patch, replace, or give up?

  • John F. Kim
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 11:34 PM
      Chris (or anyone else),

      Thanks for the advice. Do you think there any chance I could push
      Cabrinha into sending me a replacement bladder set or buying me a new
      set? I contacted Cabrinha support already and they just replied
      saying my kite is out of warranty, contact my local Cabrinha dealer.
      But I heard of other people with 2001 Cabrinha kites getting whole
      new replacement bladder sets from Cabrinha.

      But I'm pissed off because he specifically said all the bladders were
      fine. Given that the bladder material is faulty, is there anything
      that could put dozens of tiny holes in the bladders all at once, like
      folding up the kite incorrectly or crashing it? Maybe jumping up and
      down on it? Or do the faulty bladders just fail by themselves for no
      particular reason?

      I can't fault the seller if the kite is not a good performer, as he
      made no promises in that area. I just should have read the kite-surf
      reviews before buying this kite. The 7m does seem to have the best
      ratings of the 2001 BT kites, though nothing like the ratings for the
      2003 BT models. Do you know if this kite can have the wingtips
      upgraded to improve performance or is that just a stupid pipe dream?

      Now I wonder what happens if a bladder fails while out on the water.
      I'll ask that in another question.

      --John Kim

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
      wrote:
      > John
      > The 2001 Cabrinha BT used faulty bladder material. All your
      bladders
      > must be replaced. Unfortunately the 2001 Black Tip was not a very
      > good performing kite so it certainly is not worth buying a new
      > bladder set for it. Sorry, but thats the bad news.
      >
      > Chris Glazier
      >

      > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I bought a used 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip 7m kite on eBay and found
      > all
      > > the strut bladders leaking badly and at least one leak in the
      > leading
      > > edge bladder. I patched 4 of the struts with many patches (maybe
      > 30
      > > patches for the 4 struts?) and now 3 of them hold air well enough
      > > kite, I think. One needs more patches and I haven't tackled the
      > > longest center strut or the leading edge yet. Reading on
    • Raul F Argilagos
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 4:58 AM
        John,
        The 2001 7m BT is actually a very good kite. Nothing wrong with it at all
        except for your bladders. immediately take them out of the kite.
        I know it sounds harsh but you cannot fix them. that will keep you from
        wasting
        more time fixing them.

        bladders for 2001 kites are not available from cabrinha
        nor from any dealers at all. nobody stocks 2001 bladders period.

        your only options to get the kite in the air are airtime bladders
        or else find similarly sized bladders from another kite. just lay them on
        top of
        each other and pick the one closest in size. exact match is not
        important, these
        bladders are elastic and expand to fit the strut.

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!