What happens if kite bladder fails out on the water?

  • John F. Kim
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2004
      Now that I know I have a bladder problem with my (older) kite, I
      wonder what are the consequences of a failed bladder while on the
      water? If I lose a strut bladder completely, or if it partly
      deflates and becomes floppy, what happens to kite performance? Does
      it jellyfish more in lulls? Turn more slowly? Become less
      controlable?

      What happens if the leading edge bladder blows or leaks and beocmes
      soft? Will the kite still hold its shape as long as it's full of
      wind, or will it collapse?

      I'm wondering if a bladder blows, am I automatically in for a swim or
      can I kite back to shore as long as I don't crash the kite?

      --John Kim
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2004
        Hi John
        The Cabrinha bladders in that model are faulty, they are made from a material that is apparently attractive to certain bacteria, and they eat the stuff so that small pinholes appear all over the bladders. I saw it in some other brands of bladders too, around that time.
        It is probably worth calling Cabrinha dealers to see if they have any replacement bladders laying around. Failing that go to a big shop with the faulty bladders and match them to the bladders from another brand. Replacemements can be too big in diameter, and excess length can be trimmed with a bag sealer.
        There is a mod you can do to the tips to make the kite steer better, but It was only worth doing on the bigger kites, the 7 should be ok to fly.
        If you leading edge goes flat the kite will not fly, it more than one strut goes flat the kite can misbehave, and may not fly, especially if more than 2 are flat.
        Search around you will find something to replace them, for sure.
        www.kitepower.com.au

        Now that I know I have a bladder problem with my (older) kite, I
        wonder what are the consequences of a failed bladder while on the
        water? If I lose a strut bladder completely, or if it partly
        deflates and becomes floppy, what happens to kite performance? Does
        it jellyfish more in lulls? Turn more slowly? Become less
        controlable?

        What happens if the leading edge bladder blows or leaks and beocmes
        soft? Will the kite still hold its shape as long as it's full of
        wind, or will it collapse?

        I'm wondering if a bladder blows, am I automatically in for a swim or
        can I kite back to shore as long as I don't crash the kite?

        --John Kim

        http://www.nod32.com

      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2004
          I had the same problem with my 21m BT about two years
          ago. Cabrinha would not provide free replacements
          either but I was able to get them at cost from one of
          their distributors in South Florida. They were the
          2002 bladders and I had to pay about 1/2 of what they
          would normally cost. You may want to try to contact a
          local distributor to see if they would offer you some
          kind of discount before purchasing elsewhere.

          Also, when you insert the new bladders make sure the
          the kite is very dry and super clean (no sand or other
          debris). Be sure to use alot of talcum powder prior
          to putting in the bladders and inflate them about 3/4
          full a few times to make sure they are in properly
          without any twists.
          --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>