Cabrinha 2001 Black tip bladder--patch, replace, or give up?

  • John F. Kim
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2004
      I bought a used 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip 7m kite on eBay and found all
      the strut bladders leaking badly and at least one leak in the leading
      edge bladder. I patched 4 of the struts with many patches (maybe 30
      patches for the 4 struts?) and now 3 of them hold air well enough to
      kite, I think. One needs more patches and I haven't tackled the
      longest center strut or the leading edge yet. Reading on www.kite-
      surf.com it seems the 2001 Cabrinha black tip kites have a reputation
      for fragile bladders.

      My question is this--should I patch the bladders and use them, or is
      this a futile attempt because they will just develop more holes
      again? Were these 2001 kites leaky just because the bladders were
      lame or because poor kite design caused damage to the bladders? All
      the holes were tiny, most pinpricks that were hard to see. Some of
      the bladders had a little sand in them and at least one had a little
      sharp burr in it which looks like it came from a plant. Does sand in
      kite bladders cause leaks?

      My alternatives are to keep patching the bladders and see how well
      they hold up, or buy new replacement Airtime bladders (might cost me
      $300 to replace them all), or go fight with the seller for a refund
      (unlikely to happen, but maybe he will reimburse me part of the cost
      of new Airtime bladders).

      Any suggestions? Is it true that Cabrinha shipped replacement
      bladder sets to many 2001 kite owners? Is there any chance I could
      get these if I bought the kite second hand?

      --John Kim
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2004
        John
        The 2001 Cabrinha BT used faulty bladder material. All your bladders
        must be replaced. Unfortunately the 2001 Black Tip was not a very
        good performing kite so it certainly is not worth buying a new
        bladder set for it. Sorry, but thats the bad news.

        Chris Glazier

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...>
        wrote:
        > I bought a used 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip 7m kite on eBay and found
        all
        > the strut bladders leaking badly and at least one leak in the
        leading
        > edge bladder. I patched 4 of the struts with many patches (maybe
        30
        > patches for the 4 struts?) and now 3 of them hold air well enough
        > kite, I think. One needs more patches and I haven't tackled the
        > longest center strut or the leading edge yet. Reading on www.kite-
        > surf.com it seems the 2001 Cabrinha black tip kites have a
        reputation
        > for fragile bladders.
        >
        > My question is this--should I patch the bladders and use them, or
        is
        > this a futile attempt because they will just develop more holes
        > again? Were these 2001 kites leaky just because the bladders were
        > lame or because poor kite design caused damage to the bladders?
        All
        > the holes were tiny, most pinpricks that were hard to see. Some
        of
        > the bladders had a little sand in them and at least one had a
        little
        > sharp burr in it which looks like it came from a plant. Does sand
        in
        > kite bladders cause leaks?
        >
        > My alternatives are to keep patching the bladders and see how well
        > they hold up, or buy new replacement Airtime bladders (might cost
        me
        > $300 to replace them all), or go fight with the seller for a
        refund
        > (unlikely to happen, but maybe he will reimburse me part of the
        cost
        > of new Airtime bladders).
        >
        > Any suggestions? Is it true that Cabrinha shipped replacement
        > bladder sets to many 2001 kite owners? Is there any chance I
        could
        > get these if I bought the kite second hand?
        >
        > --John Kim
      • John F. Kim
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2004
          Chris (or anyone else),

          Thanks for the advice. Do you think there any chance I could push
          Cabrinha into sending me a replacement bladder set or buying me a new
          set? I contacted Cabrinha support already and they just replied
          saying my kite is out of warranty, contact my local Cabrinha dealer.
          But I heard of other people with 2001 Cabrinha kites getting whole
          new replacement bladder sets from Cabrinha.

          But I'm pissed off because he specifically said all the bladders were
          fine. Given that the bladder material is faulty, is there anything
          that could put dozens of tiny holes in the bladders all at once, like
          folding up the kite incorrectly or crashing it? Maybe jumping up and
          down on it? Or do the faulty bladders just fail by themselves for no
          particular reason?

          I can't fault the seller if the kite is not a good performer, as he
          made no promises in that area. I just should have read the kite-surf
          reviews before buying this kite. The 7m does seem to have the best
          ratings of the 2001 BT kites, though nothing like the ratings for the
          2003 BT models. Do you know if this kite can have the wingtips
          upgraded to improve performance or is that just a stupid pipe dream?

          Now I wonder what happens if a bladder fails while out on the water.
          I'll ask that in another question.

          --John Kim

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
          wrote:
          > John
          > The 2001 Cabrinha BT used faulty bladder material. All your
          bladders
          > must be replaced. Unfortunately the 2001 Black Tip was not a very
          > good performing kite so it certainly is not worth buying a new
          > bladder set for it. Sorry, but thats the bad news.
          >
          > Chris Glazier
          >

          > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Kim" <jcasekim@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I bought a used 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip 7m kite on eBay and found
          > all
          > > the strut bladders leaking badly and at least one leak in the
          > leading
          > > edge bladder. I patched 4 of the struts with many patches (maybe
          > 30
          > > patches for the 4 struts?) and now 3 of them hold air well enough
          > > kite, I think. One needs more patches and I haven't tackled the
          > > longest center strut or the leading edge yet. Reading on
        • Raul F Argilagos
          Message 4 of 4 , May 12, 2004
            John,
            The 2001 7m BT is actually a very good kite. Nothing wrong with it at all
            except for your bladders. immediately take them out of the kite.
            I know it sounds harsh but you cannot fix them. that will keep you from
            wasting
            more time fixing them.

            bladders for 2001 kites are not available from cabrinha
            nor from any dealers at all. nobody stocks 2001 bladders period.

            your only options to get the kite in the air are airtime bladders
            or else find similarly sized bladders from another kite. just lay them on
            top of
            each other and pick the one closest in size. exact match is not
            important, these
            bladders are elastic and expand to fit the strut.

            Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!