East Coast - Interested in Learning

  • A Austin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2004
      Hey y'all.

      I'm currently living in southeastern PA, and interested in learning to
      kitesurf. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for
      schools in the NJ, DE, or MD area. I checked
      http://kitesurfingschool.org/schools.htm, which has five schools
      listed--only two are relatively close--though if any place is particularly
      exceptional, I'll consider it.

      The two I found were The Kite Loft (Ocean City, MD), and Extreme Windsurf
      (Atlantic City, NJ). Any suggestions?

      Thanks muchly.

      Austin
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2004

        > The two I found were The Kite Loft (Ocean City, MD), and Extreme Windsurf
        > (Atlantic City, NJ). Any suggestions?

        Austin: Kite Loft closed their whole kite program last Fall - too little profit potential. Mike
        Anthinelli was the only certified instructor in this direction - next stop Hatteras. If you go
        there - keep a firm grip on your Visa and stick with someone/somewhere that is certified.

        I'd look toward NJ - or take a vac in St Lucia or Cabarete. Good, inexpensive and total
        immersion.

        Jim
      • KarabaszJP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2004
          I know Extreme Windsurfing has 3 PASA instructors and with safety first. I
          would highly recommend them

          Cheyne

        • Mark Leng
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2004
            Does anyone have any experience with the Liquid Force Tension kites and
            bars? I'm new to kite surfing and am considering buying the following
            package to get started:
            * 2003 Liquid Force Tension Kite 12.5m
            * Carbon Control Bar w/ kite leash
            * 4 spectra kite lines - 27 meter
            * heavy duty double action pump
            * Expandable kite bag
            * Liquid Force Truth board with Scandal plate bindings and 4 fins
            * Dakine Urethane Board Leash
            * Liquid Force Waist Harness
            * Stainless Steel harness Spreader Bar
            Typically, I'll be using the kite in 12-15 knots. Any feedback and/or
            tips would be appreciated regarding performance, durability, quality
            etc.
            Thanks,
            Mark

          • Cal Bode
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 23, 2004
              I have Liquid Force Tension kites. I have only used them once or twice and haven't had much experience in kiteboarding. I guess they are harder for beginners to learn due to the high aspect ratio of the kites-meaning they are very responsive and difficult to relaunch. You should check out their website for kites and wind condition matching up- you probably want more than one kite for starting out. How much would you spend on everything?

              I think these kites are economical and sturdy. Just make sure that everything is in good working order when you get them. I bought mine brand new, but one of my kites had a hole in the strut and one of my sandal bindings had a buckle that was broken.

              The sandal bindings are nothing special- I bought them for cheap and I got what I bought.

              Make sure they give you repair kits. Hope this helps.

              TENSION WIND CHART
              KITE SIZEWIND SPEED
              ---------------------------------
              6.025 - 50 knots8.015 - 35 knots10.010 - 25 knots12.509 - 20 knots16.505 - 16 knots20.503 - 14 knots

              Mark Leng <mdleng@...> wrote:
              Does anyone have any experience with the Liquid Force Tension kites and
              bars? I'm new to kite surfing and am considering buying the following
              package to get started:
              * 2003 Liquid Force Tension Kite 12.5m
              * Carbon Control Bar w/ kite leash
              * 4 spectra kite lines - 27 meter
              * heavy duty double action pump
              * Expandable kite bag
              * Liquid Force Truth board with Scandal plate bindings and 4 fins
              * Dakine Urethane Board Leash
              * Liquid Force Waist Harness
              * Stainless Steel harness Spreader Bar
              Typically, I'll be using the kite in 12-15 knots. Any feedback and/or
              tips would be appreciated regarding performance, durability, quality
              etc.
              Thanks,
              Mark

            • p.j.
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 24, 2004
                www.thekitehouse.com in puerto rico is open, so if you are just looking to ride or to impove some tricks, come on down.

                Great for beginners looking to get over the learning curve!

                Warm water, direct flights from everywhere, WIND.........bring the 12

                aloha Paul Menta