Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Severe accident at Eckwarden

  • kennywek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2004
      Jake,

      Thanks for the warning. It helps people appreciate the danger in this
      sport when that happens in a circumstance where you wouldn't usually expect to
      have a problem.

      Billl Kenny

    • jakob Thegerström
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
        I have the feeling this sport is safer with foil
        kites. The LEI kites all seam to have the same problem
        in gusty conditions: In the wind drop they fall back
        right in the power zone. Even if you're an experienced
        kiter you can't do much about it. Then the wind picks
        up you got hundred of kilograms in your lines. This
        has happened to me very often with my 2001 and 2002
        LEI kites.
        How does the 2004 LEI kites handle gusty winds? Are
        these kites better than the older 2003-2002... LEI
        kites?!
        I recently tested the flysurfer voodoo foil kite in
        very gusty conditions 4-24knots, the wind direction
        changed by 20-45 degrees. The kite was unaffected by
        these gusty winds, it never dropped and always stayed
        where I wanted it to stay in the wind window... Maybe
        every kiter should have a foil for gusty winds? My
        experience is that LEI kites do not work in these
        winds...

        /J

        --- kennywek@... skrev:
        ---------------------------------
        Jake,

        Thanks for the warning. It helps people appreciate
        the danger in this
        sport when that happens in a circumstance where you
        wouldn't usually expect to
        have a problem.

        Billl Kenny

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Terms of Service.

        Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
      • Sax, Steve, M.D.
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
            I have 12 years expereince with power kiting, I have travelled more than 15,00klms in my buggy, and I have kitesurfed for 6 years, my experience is that in extremely gusty winds, you should stay home.
            Conditions like you describe are dangerous to kite in, and all foils I have ever flown will misbehave in winds like that, and inflatos will too.
            The newer 2004 inflatos do handle a lot better than pre 2002 kites, as do foils.
            The number one reason for being lofted in these conditions is keeping the kite overhead, keep the kite below 11 o'clock, as we say keep it low and go!
            www.kitepower.com.au

            --- kennywek@... skrev:
            ---------------------------------
            Jake,

            Thanks for the warning. It helps people appreciate
            the danger in this
            sport when that happens in a circumstance where you
            wouldn't usually expect to
            have a problem.

            Billl Kenny

            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            Terms of Service.

            Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

            http://www.nod32.com

          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 26, 2004
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sax, Steve, M.D." <ssax@t...> wrote:
              > hung: what are the "golden rules of very strong wind kitesurfing"?.

              Some of them:

              1- Use kite size appropriated for the condition, when in doubt, try
              you smallest kite first
              2- Use shorter line to restrict the power zone and the time the kite
              stay in the power zone. For kitesurfing start from 15m and go up as
              appropriated.
              3- Launch and land unhooked or better yet, launch and land unhooked in
              shallow water
              4- Ride unhooked when you are near hard objects.
              5- Wear a helmet

            • jakob Thegerström
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29, 2004
                Steve, I completely agree with you. One should avoid
                gusty winds. However where I live the winds are nearly
                always more or less gusty :( ... The situation I'm
                avoiding is to go out overpower + gusty winds.
                I guess that most new 2004 kites got better stability
                and depower. The fact that the depower range increases
                is probably both good and bad. With a hudge depower
                you feel very secure when kiting in strong winds and
                that could lead to mistakes / bad judgments.

                /Jakob

                --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
                ---------------------------------

                --- kennywek@... skrev:
                ---------------------------------
                Jake,

                Thanks for the warning. It helps people
                appreciate
                the danger in this
                sport when that happens in a circumstance where you
                wouldn't usually expect to
                have a problem.

                Billl Kenny

                removed]

                answers
                to the most frequently asked questions.

                To unsubscribe, please send an email to
                ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                To subscribe, please send an email to
                ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                Yahoo!
                Terms of Service.

                Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på
                Yahoo! Resor på adressen
                http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

                answers
                to the most frequently asked questions.

                To unsubscribe, please send an email to
                ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                To subscribe, please send an email to
                ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                Yahoo! Terms of Service.