Kitesurfing BANNED at Bondi, Sydney, Oz

  • Steve McCormack
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      Kiting has been banned as of last Wednesday, at Bondi Beach. Please
      do not go out there, if you do your gear will be confiscated and you
      will be fined several hundred dollars, more if you ignore the
      Lifeguards.

      On behalf of AKSA and the responsible kiters who are members of AKSA
      and who wear leashes, that would like to be able to kite there, I am
      in the process of having talks with the Waverly Council.

      Someone is out there now, this person ignored the warning of the
      Lifeguards, and is in serious trouble when he comes in.
      Please do not kite there while I am negotiating with council to
      regain access.
      This ban represents the first I know of in Oz and is a precedent that
      should concern all kiters.

      The trouble at Bondi was primarily caused a by a few people, all of
      whom have ignored the absolute sanctity "no surfcraft with in the
      flagged areas" rule, have abused lifeguards, even threatened
      lifeguards, cut off surfers to the point of fist fights, crashed
      kites on people on the beach and walkways, etc.
      These people are renowned for "Look at me" stupid behaviour, like
      jumping too close to other water users, the shore, other kiters,
      solid obstacles, boats, etc. This death wish, kooky selfish behaviour
      must stop, please voice your disgust to people who act this way,
      demand they stop it at your beach, or risk losing access!

      Please pass this info on to everyone you know especially tourists.

      If I am successful, in removing the ban strict conditions will apply,
      including being a member of AKSA, wearing a kite depowering leash
      (not suicide), reporting to the lifeguards every time, obeying the
      lifeguards at all times, and staying well clear of all other water
      users and the flags.

      Regards
      Steve McCormack
      Assistant Secretary
      AKSA.com.au
      http://www.aksa.com.au
    • Danielle Pierce
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Steve, I have been in a fog, so I am not sure whether you are aware, but
        my husband Ron passed away February 13th. Please see the below regarding
        Scott and Lee's efforts on Ron's behalf. My children and I are extremely
        touched by this effort and are looking forward to participating. Perhaps
        you might know others who would like to join Scott and Lee in their efforts.

        As my two boys have had some kiting lessons and are interested in the sport,
        I would like to continue receiving your emails related to kiting. Thank
        you. Danielle Pierce

        Hi Danielle.
        Hope you are doing well. I am going to be sending this e-mail out in the
        next couple of days to kite groups and kite shops to see what the response
        will be. Either way we will be going ahead with the run with or with out the
        kite day. I have arranged for the use of my Dads boat and a friends boat so
        that part is covered. I will be talking with the Canadian Cancer Society
        tomorrow to get the necessary forms and pledge sheets. I would like to come
        down and see you to get a picture of Ron kite boarding to use for the
        posters which Kate will be making up. I just need to scan the picture and
        then will return it to you.
        Let me know when a good time would be.
        Hopefully we can do some good with this.
        Scott.

        Kite boarding For Cancer
        Ron Pierce memorial kite run and Family kite day.

        The Ron Pierce memorial kite run will take place the weekend of May 8-9th
        2004.

        We will be departing the beach area at long beach in Niagara and making the
        90km run across Lake Erie to Long point wind permitting. This will be the
        first ever crossing from these 2 beaches to be completed by Kite boarders
        Scott Ferrede and Lee Fitzgerald.

        We are looking for volunteers to help us out.

        What can you do?

        1-We need 2 boats and drivers, a lead boat to plot our course and a chase
        boat to pick us up if something was to go wrong. Boats will be supplied with
        2 way radios to stay in contact with each other

        2-We would also like to hold a kite day at the beach at long point. If you
        are a school or kite store you could have demos and lessons on the beach.
        This is an excellent way to promote the sport of kite boarding.

        3- If you feel up to the challenge you could join us in the run. Be advised
        that this will be hard on your body and I need to know if you will be
        participating no later then April 1 2004.

        4-We would like to hold some events on the beach such as a beach volleyball
        tournament depending on the turn out and weather also something fun for the
        kids and non kite boarders.

        5-We would also like to have a barbecue so volunteers to run this would be
        needed also.

        6-Most important would be your pledge or donations. You can pledge whatever
        you want per KM and all proceeds will go to the Canadian Cancer Society in
        memory of Ron Pierce.

        We have all been affected by cancer in one way or another; let's try to help
        get a little closer to finding the cure and have some fun.

        Any participation would be greatly appreciated.

        If you would like a pledge sheet or would like to make a pledge or would be
        interested in helping out with this event please contact me by e-mail or
        phone.

        Thank-You

        Scott Ferrede

        519.684.7519