Understanding how a kite is depowered by releasing the bar

  • wvc304
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2004
      I am new to kiteboarding, awaiting better weather for lessons,
      and have a question about depowering a kite after reading about the
      subject.

      If a rider is not hooked into the Chicken Loop and he releases
      his bar out,(without dropping it),would that depower the kite?

      As I understand it, if a rider was hooked into the Chicken loop
      and he extended his bar out,(without dropping it),that would depower
      the kite. The reason, as I understand it, is that releasing the bar
      would release the back lines,(the front lines remaining in the same
      relative position as before the bar was released because the Chicken
      Loop would be holding them in place). Then with the rear lines
      extended, the wind wind would spill out of the back of the kite
      somewhat similar to releasing a sail on a sailboat and spilling the
      wind out of it. In addition, under that set of facts the "angle of
      attack" of the kite relative to the wind would change because the
      back lines were extended and the front lines remained in the same
      general position.

      However, if the rider was not hooked into the Chicken Loop and
      he extended his bar out,(without dropping it),then both sets of lines,
      (front & back), would be released relatively the same distance. In
      that case, wouldn't both sets of lines remain in the same relative
      position in relation to each other? If so, then how would the
      kite "spill wind" and depower? In the alternative, how would
      the "angle of attack" of the kite relative to the wind change since
      the front and back lines are still in the same relative position to
      one another, even though both sets on lines had been "extended out"
      when the rider extended out his bar? Am I thinking about this in the
      proper context or is there a better explanation?

      Thank you
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2004
        Pushing the bar away from you(releasing it without
        dropping it)without being hooked into the chicken loop
        does nothing to depower the kite. Both front and rear
        lines stay the same length and the angle of attack of
        the kite stays the same. The only way I know to
        depower a 4 line LEI kite is while hooked into the
        chicken loop and releasing/pushing the bar out away
        from you. Like you said below it lets the back lines
        of the kite out changing the angle of attack and
        spilling wind thus depowering. The amount of depower
        is determined by the adjustment on the chicken loop
        which controls the length of the front lines. You can
        depower all the way until the back lines are slack but
        you then lose steering ability. This may be ok while
        you are getting ready to launch for a few seconds, but
        will be a problem when riding if you need to depower.
        You should adjust the chicken loop to depower enough
        so that you can still steer the kite. Also,
        depowering the kite allows it to fly more into the
        wind and faster as well, so you definitely want to
        retain steering ability.

        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 29, 2004
          Thank you for your advice.