Re: [ksurfschool] Foil Launching

  • p
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
      The only four line foil that I know of that launches at the side of the window is the Peter Lynn ARC. The reason you cant launch most normal foils at the side of the window is because they are 'ram air'. That is the kite inflates and keeps its shape by ramming air in through the leading edge. To do this the kite should have its leading edge facing the wind, you cant do this at the edge of the window.

      In theory it is possible to launch at the side of the window but I expect the results would be that you would launch with a partially inflated kite that would be very uncontrolable. I expect that doing this would cause the kite to fold and tumble down wind of the person.

      Of course, someone out there may have a good technique for doing this and there may be other kites that launch at the side of the window but in my experience it is better to launch the kite directly down wind, fully inflated and move it to the side of the window while keeping the speed of the kite slow.

      If you are having serious problems being dragged while launching then you should use a smaller kite, you are simply too over powered if it is not possible to fly the kite without being dragged.

      fly safe

      jakob Thegerstr�m <jakobjth@...> wrote:
      Can't you just launch at the edge of the window in the
      same manner you self launch a LEI?

      /Jakob

      --- p <chickenoriental@...> skrev:
      ---------------------------------
      if you are talking about 4 line bridled foils as
      opposed to 2 line there are a number of options to
      *reduce* dragging.

      with my small foil in high winds I just pop it off the
      ground and very quickly turn it 90 degrees and run it
      to the edge (still low to the ground) while I move to
      the opposite side. Keep the speed of the kite in check
      as the faster it move the move power it will generate

      with larger foils where you cannot turn so quickly or
      where you are forced to launch through the window
      remember that big foils generate much more power when
      they are moving quickly, increase your brake tension
      to reduce the foils forward momentum and you will find
      that although you are spending more time in the power
      window you are actually generating less pull. But as
      always if you can launch and turn the kite to avoid
      the power window you will get less pull.

      Always make sure you have adequate clearance of
      objects and people downwind. Also, if you are unsure
      about the wind, launch a smaller kite to get a feel
      for the actual wind speed over head (remember its
      always windier 30M up) and then move to a larger kite.

      David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
      Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
      dragged. How are
      these launched out of the center of the power window?

      answers
      to the most frequently asked questions.

      To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      To subscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      Terms of Service.

      answers
      to the most frequently asked questions.

      To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      To subscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

      Terms of Service.

      H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p� Yahoo! Resor p� adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

    • p
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
        yes, if you look at the videos on Marks site you will see the PL instructional video does a side launch, mainly because this kite does not have a briddle and it has a valve system to keep air in once inflated.

        Jacob, what type of kite are you flying?

        Mark Pronk <mpronk@...> wrote:
        Depending on the type of foil you fly, and the amount of preinflation you can do a edge of the window launch yes.

        Have fun!

        Mark
        Happy kiting, whatever you fly!
        http://foils.nl <http://foils.nl/>

        ---------------------------------

        David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
        Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
        dragged. How are
        these launched out of the center of the power window?

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Terms of Service.

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

        Terms of Service.

        H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p� Yahoo! Resor p� adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jakob Thegerström
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
          can you do it with the voodoo? I'm probably going to
          buy the voodoo 10sqm for the summer! By the way do you
          know what equivalent tube size the voodoo 10
          represent?

          /Jakob

          ---------------------------------

          ---------------------------------

          David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
          Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to
          be
          dragged. How are
          these launched out of the center of the power
          window?

          http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
          the
          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo!
          Terms of Service.

          removed]

          http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
          the
          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

          Yahoo!
          Terms of Service.

          Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen
          på Yahoo! Resor på adressen
          http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

          http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
          the answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
          email to:

          * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          the Yahoo! Terms of Service
          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Terms of Service.

          Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
        • Mark Pronk
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
            Jakob,

            You could easily do it with Voodoo. I'd compare a voodoo 10 with a 12 to 13 meter tube.