RE: [ksurfschool] Foil Launching

  • Mark Pronk
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
      Depending on the type of foil you fly, and the amount of preinflation you can do a edge of the window launch yes.

      Have fun!

      Mark
      Happy kiting, whatever you fly!
      http://foils.nl <http://foils.nl/>

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
        The only four line foil that I know of that launches at the side of the window is the Peter Lynn ARC. The reason you cant launch most normal foils at the side of the window is because they are 'ram air'. That is the kite inflates and keeps its shape by ramming air in through the leading edge. To do this the kite should have its leading edge facing the wind, you cant do this at the edge of the window.

        In theory it is possible to launch at the side of the window but I expect the results would be that you would launch with a partially inflated kite that would be very uncontrolable. I expect that doing this would cause the kite to fold and tumble down wind of the person.

        Of course, someone out there may have a good technique for doing this and there may be other kites that launch at the side of the window but in my experience it is better to launch the kite directly down wind, fully inflated and move it to the side of the window while keeping the speed of the kite slow.

        If you are having serious problems being dragged while launching then you should use a smaller kite, you are simply too over powered if it is not possible to fly the kite without being dragged.

        fly safe

        ---------------------------------

        David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
        Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
        dragged. How are
        these launched out of the center of the power window?

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Terms of Service.

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

        Terms of Service.

        H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p� Yahoo! Resor p� adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

      • p

          ---------------------------------

          David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
          Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
          dragged. How are
          these launched out of the center of the power window?

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Terms of Service.

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

          Terms of Service.

          H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p� Yahoo! Resor p� adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jakob Thegerström
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
            can you do it with the voodoo? I'm probably going to
            buy the voodoo 10sqm for the summer! By the way do you
            know what equivalent tube size the voodoo 10
            represent?

            /Jakob

            ---------------------------------

            ---------------------------------

            David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
            Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to
            be
            dragged. How are
            these launched out of the center of the power
            window?

            http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
            the
            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo!
            Terms of Service.

            removed]

[...]

            * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
            email to:

            * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            the Yahoo! Terms of Service
            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
              Jakob,

              You could easily do it with Voodoo. I'd compare a voodoo 10 with a 12 to 13 meter tube.