Foil Launching

  • David Alger
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2004
      Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be dragged. How are
      these launched out of the center of the power window?
    • p
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2004
        if you are talking about 4 line bridled foils as opposed to 2 line there are a number of options to *reduce* dragging.

        with my small foil in high winds I just pop it off the ground and very quickly turn it 90 degrees and run it to the edge (still low to the ground) while I move to the opposite side. Keep the speed of the kite in check as the faster it move the move power it will generate

        with larger foils where you cannot turn so quickly or where you are forced to launch through the window remember that big foils generate much more power when they are moving quickly, increase your brake tension to reduce the foils forward momentum and you will find that although you are spending more time in the power window you are actually generating less pull. But as always if you can launch and turn the kite to avoid the power window you will get less pull.

        Always make sure you have adequate clearance of objects and people downwind. Also, if you are unsure about the wind, launch a smaller kite to get a feel for the actual wind speed over head (remember its always windier 30M up) and then move to a larger kite.

        David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
        Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be dragged. How are
        these launched out of the center of the power window?

      • jakob Thegerström
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25, 2004
          Can't you just launch at the edge of the window in the
          same manner you self launch a LEI?

          /Jakob

          ---------------------------------

          David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
          Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
          dragged. How are
          these launched out of the center of the power window?

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Terms of Service.

          answers
          to the most frequently asked questions.

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          To subscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

          Terms of Service.

          Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
        • Mark Pronk
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
            Depending on the type of foil you fly, and the amount of preinflation you can do a edge of the window launch yes.

            Have fun!

            Mark
            Happy kiting, whatever you fly!
            http://foils.nl <http://foils.nl/>

            ---------------------------------

            David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
            Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
            dragged. How are
            these launched out of the center of the power window?

            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            Terms of Service.

            answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            Click Here

            Terms of Service.

            Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • p
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
              The only four line foil that I know of that launches at the side of the window is the Peter Lynn ARC. The reason you cant launch most normal foils at the side of the window is because they are 'ram air'. That is the kite inflates and keeps its shape by ramming air in through the leading edge. To do this the kite should have its leading edge facing the wind, you cant do this at the edge of the window.

              In theory it is possible to launch at the side of the window but I expect the results would be that you would launch with a partially inflated kite that would be very uncontrolable. I expect that doing this would cause the kite to fold and tumble down wind of the person.

              Of course, someone out there may have a good technique for doing this and there may be other kites that launch at the side of the window but in my experience it is better to launch the kite directly down wind, fully inflated and move it to the side of the window while keeping the speed of the kite slow.

              If you are having serious problems being dragged while launching then you should use a smaller kite, you are simply too over powered if it is not possible to fly the kite without being dragged.

              fly safe

              ---------------------------------

              David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
              Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to be
              dragged. How are
              these launched out of the center of the power window?

              answers
              to the most frequently asked questions.

              To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              To subscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              Terms of Service.

              answers
              to the most frequently asked questions.

              To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              To subscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              Click Here

              Terms of Service.

              H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p� Yahoo! Resor p� adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

            • p

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
                  can you do it with the voodoo? I'm probably going to
                  buy the voodoo 10sqm for the summer! By the way do you
                  know what equivalent tube size the voodoo 10
                  represent?

                  /Jakob

                  ---------------------------------

                  ---------------------------------

                  David Alger <DAlger@...> wrote:
                  Every time I launch a foil, I brace my self to
                  be
                  dragged. How are
                  these launched out of the center of the power
                  window?

                  http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
                  the
                  answers
                  to the most frequently asked questions.

                  To unsubscribe, please send an email to
                  ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                  To subscribe, please send an email to
                  ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                  Yahoo!
                  Terms of Service.

                  removed]

[...]

                  * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                  email to:

                  * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
                    Jakob,

                    You could easily do it with Voodoo. I'd compare a voodoo 10 with a 12 to 13 meter tube.