Water Relaunchable Foil

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2004
      Anyone have recommendations on a good water
      relaunchable foil (Large 12-15m)? I'm considering
      replacing my inflatables. Any pros or cons to
      switching?

      Thanks,
      Jake

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
    • p
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2004
        I switched from LEIs to peter lynn gARC 13m and bARC 12m.

        They're as relaunchable as LEIs, the gARC is a slow turner compared to the latest LEIs but foils require a different flying style anyway. As soon as I switched back to using foils my kiteboarding progressed. the gARC is an awesome jumper and pulls you upwind as good as any LEI in my opinion. The bARC is one of the fastest turning foils (on a bar) that I've seen, its my high wind kite, I just got it for waveridding when the season kicks in. I havent flown any of the flysurfers, I hear they are good.

        pros - lay the kite on the beach and as you lay your lines out the kite inflates itself, attach and you are away. Self launching is almost easier than getting someone to help you. Self landing is also a breeze, just release to leash and the kite flags out, this is a major plus for me... if you get in to trouble close to land just release and you are totally depowered without any risk of powering up or bursting a bladder once you reach land. They *the* most stable kite on the market no question. I'm not a good kitesurfer but I like to try stuff so I spill out a LOT, whenever I come back up for air the kite is always up there behaving - NEVER hindenburghs.

        cons, if you ride aggresively then you probably wont enjoy the PLs you cant punch them around.

        watch the video 'guerillas on the move' you can download it at www.foils.nl

        good luck and there's a gII ARC out in a couple of months thats supposed to be a quick turner.. just cant give you feedback on something I havent flown yet but I'll be buying one (o;

        George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...> wrote:
        Anyone have recommendations on a good water
        relaunchable foil (Large 12-15m)? I'm considering
        replacing my inflatables. Any pros or cons to
        switching?

        Thanks,
        Jake

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
          Thanks for the info. Anyone have experience with
          Flysurfers?

        • ianyoung60
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2004
            >Anyone have experience with Flysurfers?

            I import them into Oz. But I teach kite surfing for a living and
            switched to FS after using LEI for three years - there was no
            importer in Oz and I became their rep by default. I am an IKO Level
            2 Instructor and have taught more than 920 students since 1998. I am
            a pioneer of the sport in Australia and have flown most kites on the
            market.

            I switched because:

            They are so much easier to use, especially water launching even in
            the lightest winds

            MUCH quicker set up - typically 5 minutes

            MUCH more compact

            Less maintenance - no punctures, etc

            They last longer

            Bigger wind range

            The pressureless depower system is awesome for people concerned about
            their upper body strength, eliminates tendonitis of the elbow and it
            extends endurance significantly

            The safety system is the best I have come across by far - this is one
            of the main concerns I had with PL Arcs - they were a pain for a
            student to relaunch off the water once the bar was thrown - even
            worse if the kite bow-tied

            Awesome upwind ability

            The one kite can be suitable for beginners all the way through to
            advanced riders ie you do not need to trade-up all the time

            Not all foils are the same - FS kites CAN be launched at the edge of
            the wind window in stronger winds just like an LEI

            FS foils can be safely launched and landed without assistance - still
            never go out alone

            I find that most people that bag out foils have never flown a
            FlySurfer

            Cheers,
            Ian Young
            WinDesigns Australia