Re: [ksurfschool] Snow .vs. water

  • jakob Thegerström
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22 8:06 AM
      Hi!

      After kitesnowing the last weeks here in stockholm I
      agree that kitesnowboarding / skiing is easier to
      learn. And it's certainly safer because you got more
      empty space around you. However unless you got 1 meter
      of powder snow to catch your landings I am not
      convinced that it is safer to jump on snow?!
      What learning technique do you use for teaching your
      students to jump?

      cheers
      /Jakob

      --- Hung Vu <hungvu2000@...> skrev:
      ---------------------------------
      Having kited on them for a number of years here are my
      10 observations:

      1- Kiting on snow is safer than on water (it sounds
      strange but it's
      true as you have no one and nothing around to make the
      situation
      dangerous).
      2- They are almost identical if you want them to be
      and very different
      if you want them to be (kitesurfing and
      kitesnowboarding is mostly about
      jumps&tricks and kiteskiing is mostly about speed)
      3- It's much more convenience to teach and learn on
      snow than on water
      (a student can go upwind and jump on the second day -
      MY STUDENTS HAVE
      DONE IT).
      4- Learning on snow first reduce the learning curve
      drastically.
      5- You can jump almost as high on snow as on water and
      still not
      endanger yourself.
      6- Foils are more convenience on snow but inflatables
      can also work on
      both. Inflatables are likely to dominate the kiting
      scence (except for
      some high speed situations) unless the the foil
      companies (including
      Arc) can team up and do something...
      7- If you want to go fast (80 km and up), use foil on
      snow (and you can
      LAUGH that the fastest kiter on water, mostly LEIs,
      still go slower than
      80 km/hr - I am trying to experiment the concept that
      some modern LEIs,
      such as the GlobeRider Lift, can go as fast as or
      faster than foils on
      snow)
      8- If you want to jump high easily, use inflatables
      (modern inflatables
      can jump high easier than foils).
      9- If you use inflatable, use a 5th line. The 5th
      line adds a quite a
      bit more safety and ease of relaunchability for both
      snow and water
      (actually, the 5th line make LEIs as convenience as
      foils on snow and
      make LEIs as convenience on water as on snow).
      10- Snow is more convenience but water is still more
      enchanting...

      P.S., Kiting is such a wonderful sport for colder
      climate as it is the
      ONLY 4 season outdoor sport as I know of except for
      jogging...

      answers
      to the most frequently asked questions.

      To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      To subscribe, please send an email to
      ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

      Terms of Service.

      Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23 6:26 AM
        It's safer to jump on water; however, as long as you have more than 6"
        of snow, it can be almost as safe.

        The trick to jump safely on snow is to use only the top portion of the
        wind window such that if you make a mistake, the kite can still
        provide considerable lift for a softer landing (BTW, the air is much
        thicker in colder weather and can provide more "parachuting effect").

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, jakob Thegerström <jakobjth@y...>

      • Andre Ethier
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23 9:27 AM
          Snow vs Water

          After flying my kite on land and having tried to
          kitesurf on water this summer I was pleasantly
          surprised to find myself learning so fast on snow.
          Took a lesson with Hung, "Thanks for your time" and
          within 2 hours I was riding back and forth, turning,
          going upwind and jumping! This is much more progress
          than what I was able to accomplish on water. From my
          experience I would recommend going after a snowfall so
          that there is more snow on the ice and knee pads
          aren't a bad idea either. Kites with a 5th line are
          also a good idea as Hung and I can testify when my
          regular leash became tangled in the bar and I was then
          dragged across the lake! Fortunately Hung was able to
          save my kite, had I been alone I would have had to
          release my kite and eventually pick up the shreds in
          the trees!!!

          Cheers

          Andre

          --- hungvuatnetcomdotca <hungvu2000@...>
          ---------------------------------

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, jakob Thegerstr�m
          <jakobjth@y...>
          wrote:
> [...]
          that
          > some modern LEIs,
          > such as the GlobeRider Lift, can go as fast as or
          > faster than foils on
          > snow)
          > 8- If you want to jump high easily, use inflatables
          > (modern inflatables
          > can jump high easier than foils).
          > 9- If you use inflatable, use a 5th line. The 5th
          > line adds a quite a
          > bit more safety and ease of relaunchability for both
          > snow and water
          > (actually, the 5th line make LEIs as convenience as
          > foils on snow and
          > make LEIs as convenience on water as on snow).
          > 10- Snow is more convenience but water is still more
          > enchanting...
          >
          > P.S., Kiting is such a wonderful sport for colder
          > climate as it is the
          > ONLY 4 season outdoor sport as I know of except for

          Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service.
          >

          > H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p�
          Yahoo! Resor p�