Snow .vs. water

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2004
      Having kited on them for a number of years here are my 10 observations:

      1- Kiting on snow is safer than on water (it sounds strange but it's
      true as you have no one and nothing around to make the situation
      dangerous).
      2- They are almost identical if you want them to be and very different
      if you want them to be (kitesurfing and kitesnowboarding is mostly about
      jumps&tricks and kiteskiing is mostly about speed)
      3- It's much more convenience to teach and learn on snow than on water
      (a student can go upwind and jump on the second day - MY STUDENTS HAVE
      DONE IT).
      4- Learning on snow first reduce the learning curve drastically.
      5- You can jump almost as high on snow as on water and still not
      endanger yourself.
      6- Foils are more convenience on snow but inflatables can also work on
      both. Inflatables are likely to dominate the kiting scence (except for
      some high speed situations) unless the the foil companies (including
      Arc) can team up and do something...
      7- If you want to go fast (80 km and up), use foil on snow (and you can
      LAUGH that the fastest kiter on water, mostly LEIs, still go slower than
      80 km/hr - I am trying to experiment the concept that some modern LEIs,
      such as the GlobeRider Lift, can go as fast as or faster than foils on
      snow)
      8- If you want to jump high easily, use inflatables (modern inflatables
      can jump high easier than foils).
      9- If you use inflatable, use a 5th line. The 5th line adds a quite a
      bit more safety and ease of relaunchability for both snow and water
      (actually, the 5th line make LEIs as convenience as foils on snow and
      make LEIs as convenience on water as on snow).
      10- Snow is more convenience but water is still more enchanting...

      P.S., Kiting is such a wonderful sport for colder climate as it is the
      ONLY 4 season outdoor sport as I know of except for jogging...

      Hung.
    • jakob Thegerström
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2004
        Hi!

        After kitesnowing the last weeks here in stockholm I
        agree that kitesnowboarding / skiing is easier to
        learn. And it's certainly safer because you got more
        empty space around you. However unless you got 1 meter
        of powder snow to catch your landings I am not
        convinced that it is safer to jump on snow?!
        What learning technique do you use for teaching your
        students to jump?

        cheers
        /Jakob

        ---------------------------------

        answers
        to the most frequently asked questions.

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        To subscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

        Terms of Service.

        Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2004
          It's safer to jump on water; however, as long as you have more than 6"
          of snow, it can be almost as safe.

          The trick to jump safely on snow is to use only the top portion of the
          wind window such that if you make a mistake, the kite can still
          provide considerable lift for a softer landing (BTW, the air is much
          thicker in colder weather and can provide more "parachuting effect").

          Hung.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, jakob Thegerström <jakobjth@y...>

        • Andre Ethier
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2004
            Snow vs Water

            After flying my kite on land and having tried to
            kitesurf on water this summer I was pleasantly
            surprised to find myself learning so fast on snow.
            Took a lesson with Hung, "Thanks for your time" and
            within 2 hours I was riding back and forth, turning,
            going upwind and jumping! This is much more progress
            than what I was able to accomplish on water. From my
            experience I would recommend going after a snowfall so
            that there is more snow on the ice and knee pads
            aren't a bad idea either. Kites with a 5th line are
            also a good idea as Hung and I can testify when my
            regular leash became tangled in the bar and I was then
            dragged across the lake! Fortunately Hung was able to
            save my kite, had I been alone I would have had to
            release my kite and eventually pick up the shreds in
            the trees!!!

            Cheers

            Andre

            --- hungvuatnetcomdotca <hungvu2000@...>
            ---------------------------------

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, jakob Thegerstr�m
            <jakobjth@y...>
            wrote:
> [...]
            that
            > some modern LEIs,
            > such as the GlobeRider Lift, can go as fast as or
            > faster than foils on
            > snow)
            > 8- If you want to jump high easily, use inflatables
            > (modern inflatables
            > can jump high easier than foils).
            > 9- If you use inflatable, use a 5th line. The 5th
            > line adds a quite a
            > bit more safety and ease of relaunchability for both
            > snow and water
            > (actually, the 5th line make LEIs as convenience as
            > foils on snow and
            > make LEIs as convenience on water as on snow).
            > 10- Snow is more convenience but water is still more
            > enchanting...
            >
            > P.S., Kiting is such a wonderful sport for colder
            > climate as it is the
            > ONLY 4 season outdoor sport as I know of except for

            Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > H�strusk och gr� moln - k�p en resa till solen p�
            Yahoo! Resor p�