Thinking about kids....

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
      Going back to "popular and safe" - I recently saw a posting somewhere about a kiter
      having their young daughter do this sport. I'm 100% for playing with your kids. (this
      is one of the more selfish - you may prefer; 'solitary' - sports I can think of..) I am
      less than - lot's less - sanguine about watching little kids do this sport.

      I've seen 90kilo men thrown about like rag dolls - bouncing atop the water getting a
      complete thrashing. I suspect that same 40yr old adult with perhaps some
      extensive time wakeboarding, surfing or poleboarding has had some crash expirence
      to draw upon - that a child could never have.

      A typical parental response to a child falling on the tennis court is going over the net
      to see if they can help. What would you estimate the response time... or even, how
      much time you would be able to watch them; especially if you were also kiting?

      Picture a non-kiting wife, or siblings on the shore: what can they do?

      I do not live other people's lives, but I see a helluva lot of kids riding bikes without
      helmets - when there's even a law they must, so I do not expect much agreement with
      this post, but feel caution is warranted.

      Jim
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
        For a kid to learn kitesurfing first is definitely dangerous.

        When I first learn kitesurfing back in 1998, I got enough minor
        injuries that caught my wife's attention.

        After all this years, I started to realize that the danger with
        kitesurfing was due to the fact that we learn kiting on dangerous
        environments: land (due to it's "hardness") and water (due to it's
        "unstability").

        On snow it's a different matter. It's soft, it's stable, It's fun,
        it's safe and it's rewarding...

        You learn fast on snow and if you make any mistake, you can learn from
        it without hurting yourself or anyone else (you are in the middle of
        NOWHERE when everyone stay INDOOR)...

        If ONLY all kitesurfer can kitesnowboard/kiteski first, the sport may
        become safer...

        P.S., Kitesnowboarding/kiteskiing will be come VERY VERY popular, I am
        hoping the same for kitesurfing - if we can make it a safe sport, it
        should be popular...

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "ex_cpe" <wetstuff@f...> wrote:
        > Going back to "popular and safe" - I recently saw a posting
        somewhere about a kiter
        > having their young daughter do this sport. I'm 100% for playing
        with your kids. (this
        > is one of the more selfish - you may prefer; 'solitary' - sports I
        can think of..) I am
        > less than - lot's less - sanguine about watching little kids do this
        sport.

        > I've seen 90kilo men thrown about like rag dolls - bouncing atop the
        water getting a
        > complete thrashing. I suspect that same 40yr old adult with perhaps
        some
        > extensive time wakeboarding, surfing or poleboarding has had some
        crash expirence
        > to draw upon - that a child could never have.
        >
        > A typical parental response to a child falling on the tennis court
        is going over the net
        > to see if they can help. What would you estimate the response
        time... or even, how
        > much time you would be able to watch them; especially if you were
        also kiting?

        > Picture a non-kiting wife, or siblings on the shore: what can they do?
        >
        > I do not live other people's lives, but I see a helluva lot of kids
        riding bikes without
        > helmets - when there's even a law they must, so I do not expect much
        agreement with
        > this post, but feel caution is warranted.
        >
        > Jim
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
          Hi Hung
          You are correct for sure, but you must stop rubbing our noses in the lack of snow! :-)
          www.kitepower.com.au

          For a kid to learn kitesurfing first is definitely dangerous.

          When I first learn kitesurfing back in 1998, I got enough minor
          injuries that caught my wife's attention.

          After all this years, I started to realize that the danger with
          kitesurfing was due to the fact that we learn kiting on dangerous
          environments: land (due to it's "hardness") and water (due to it's
          "unstability").

          On snow it's a different matter. It's soft, it's stable, It's fun,
          it's safe and it's rewarding...

          You learn fast on snow and if you make any mistake, you can learn from
          it without hurting yourself or anyone else (you are in the middle of
          NOWHERE when everyone stay INDOOR)...

          If ONLY all kitesurfer can kitesnowboard/kiteski first, the sport may
          become safer...

          P.S., Kitesnowboarding/kiteskiing will be come VERY VERY popular, I am
          hoping the same for kitesurfing - if we can make it a safe sport, it
          should be popular...

          Hung.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "ex_cpe" <wetstuff@f...> wrote:
          > Going back to "popular and safe" - I recently saw a posting
          somewhere about a kiter
          > having their young daughter do this sport. I'm 100% for playing
          with your kids. (this
          > is one of the more selfish - you may prefer; 'solitary' - sports I
          can think of..) I am
          > less than - lot's less - sanguine about watching little kids do this
          sport.

          > I've seen 90kilo men thrown about like rag dolls - bouncing atop the
          water getting a
          > complete thrashing. I suspect that same 40yr old adult with perhaps
          some
          > extensive time wakeboarding, surfing or poleboarding has had some
          crash expirence
          > to draw upon - that a child could never have.
          >
          > A typical parental response to a child falling on the tennis court
          is going over the net
          > to see if they can help. What would you estimate the response
          time... or even, how
          > much time you would be able to watch them; especially if you were
          also kiting?

          > Picture a non-kiting wife, or siblings on the shore: what can they do?
          >
          > I do not live other people's lives, but I see a helluva lot of kids
          riding bikes without
          > helmets - when there's even a law they must, so I do not expect much
          agreement with
          > this post, but feel caution is warranted.
          >
          > Jim

          http://www.nod32.com

        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"
            <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > Hi Hung
            > You are correct for sure, but you must stop rubbing our noses in the
            lack of snow! :-)

            There may be some intention to do that ;-) however, nothing stop you
            guys to come over visiting Canada (we have enough snow and empty space
            in the winter to accommodate everyone on earth ;-)

            Seriously, the main point is that it is much easier and safer to learn
            on snow in the middle of NOWHERE first before flying those "killer"
            kites on crowded beaches and water.

            Those who has snow should learn in the winter first and graduate to
            the summer. By then, one has learned enough to be a safe kitesurfer.

            Those who has no snow may want to travel to learn on snow first...