Re: How cold can you kite?

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2004
      I was out Saturday as well. Temp. -22 C, windspeed 30 kph, windchill
      -35 C, sunny. It was great! Would not have wanted to spend much time
      fiddling with my equipment but when I was going I was warm. Lots of
      layers. The only problem was perspiration (can't afford Goretex until
      I get another kite ;-}!) which in that temperature could be trouble
      if for some reason you had to stop and stand for a long time.

      Jonathan

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Lee Fitzgerald <lee@b...> wrote:
      > I was out on Saturday, and it was close to minus 30 with wind
      chill. It
      > was so cold, i couldn't squeeze my LEI's nipples... haha!
      > You do have to be careful with the gear. Especially get used to
      > grabbing your quick release with your gloves on, can be tricky if
      you
      > are wearing heavy gloves.
      >
      > good winds!
      > Lee Fitzgerald
      >
      > On Jan 26, 2004, at 3:17 AM, jakob Thegerström wrote:
      >
      > > I went out in -10/15C and also broke the plastic
      > > details on my bar, I don't think it's a good idea to
      > > use a LEI in cold conditions...
      > >

      > > --- Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> skrev:
      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Well, I did not go out in -40C wind chill but did go
      > > out few times in
      > > -30C to -35C wind chill.
      > >
      > > It's a piece of cake!!! Infact, I was somewhat
      > > overdressed and sweating
      > > like crazy (my whole upper body was soaked).
      > >
      > > P.S., It was so cold that some plastic things on the
      > > leader lines to
      > > protect the kiter hands broke (who cares, we got thick
      > > glove anyway)
      > >
      > > P.P.S., The sun was HOT. If you feel the heat from
      > > the sun in +30C, you
      > > probably feel more heat from the sun in -35C wind
      > > chill.
      > >
      > > P.P.P.S., -40C should not be a problem and maybe -50C
      > > is still enjoyable.
      > >
      > > P.P.P.P.S., We got SO MUCH wind this winter (20 to 40
      > > knots almost non
      > > stop last week and 20 - 30 knots most this week), is
      > > there something
      > > wrong with the weather? Did you guys loose much wind
      > > down south???
      > >
      > > Hung.

      > > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the
      > > answers
      > > to the most frequently asked questions.
      > >
      > > To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      > > To subscribe, please send an email to
      > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      > > Terms of Service.
      > >

      > > Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på
      Yahoo! Resor på