Re: [ksurfschool] How cold can you kite?

  • Lee Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2004
      I was out on Saturday, and it was close to minus 30 with wind chill. It
      was so cold, i couldn't squeeze my LEI's nipples... haha!
      You do have to be careful with the gear. Especially get used to
      grabbing your quick release with your gloves on, can be tricky if you
      are wearing heavy gloves.

      good winds!
      Lee Fitzgerald

      On Jan 26, 2004, at 3:17 AM, jakob Thegerström wrote:

      > I went out in -10/15C and also broke the plastic
      > details on my bar, I don't think it's a good idea to
      > use a LEI in cold conditions...
      >

      > --- Hung Vu <hungvu2000@...> skrev:
      > ---------------------------------
      > Well, I did not go out in -40C wind chill but did go
      > out few times in
      > -30C to -35C wind chill.
      >
      > It's a piece of cake!!! Infact, I was somewhat
      > overdressed and sweating
      > like crazy (my whole upper body was soaked).
      >
      > P.S., It was so cold that some plastic things on the
      > leader lines to
      > protect the kiter hands broke (who cares, we got thick
      > glove anyway)
      >
      > P.P.S., The sun was HOT. If you feel the heat from
      > the sun in +30C, you
      > probably feel more heat from the sun in -35C wind
      > chill.
      >
      > P.P.P.S., -40C should not be a problem and maybe -50C
      > is still enjoyable.
      >
      > P.P.P.P.S., We got SO MUCH wind this winter (20 to 40
      > knots almost non
      > stop last week and 20 - 30 knots most this week), is
      > there something
      > wrong with the weather? Did you guys loose much wind
      > down south???

      > answers

      > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      > To subscribe, please send an email to
      > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      > Terms of Service.
      >

      > Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på
      > adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

      > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Jonathan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2004
        I was out Saturday as well. Temp. -22 C, windspeed 30 kph, windchill
        -35 C, sunny. It was great! Would not have wanted to spend much time
        fiddling with my equipment but when I was going I was warm. Lots of
        layers. The only problem was perspiration (can't afford Goretex until
        I get another kite ;-}!) which in that temperature could be trouble
        if for some reason you had to stop and stand for a long time.

        Jonathan