Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

A not so well-known kitesurfing paradise.

Expand Messages
  • Hung Vu
    Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is a family vacation so I have no say about where we go) I did some research before going
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is a
      family vacation so I have no say about where we go)

      I did some research before going (looking at some wind statistics at
      Varadero in the last few years) and thought that kitesurfing is not that
      great so I packed only 1 kite (Gastraa GSX 14 m2) and 1 board.

      The &^(*( wind statistics was so wrong. The wind at Varadero was so
      good that I couldn't kite a few days because the wind was so strong for
      my 14 m2 kite (for those days I had to wait until the end of the days -
      after 5 PM - for the wind to die down before going out).

      When I came back, I looked at the wind statistics for the same period I
      was there and it is about 5 - 7 knots below my experience.

      I end up kitesurf 70% of the time and the other 30% couldn't kitesurf
      becasue the wind was too strong.

      I normally kitesurf 50% of the time at Carabete during this time of the
      year.

      Hung.
    • rcam001
      Hey Hung Wind speed averages are figured with data over a 24 hour time frame. Winds generally die down at night and as such, night wind speeds will be slower
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Hey Hung

        Wind speed averages are figured with data over a 24 hour time
        frame. Winds generally die down at night and as such, night wind
        speeds will be slower than average and actual day speeds faster than
        average.

        Ill bet if you compare your local weather data and with what you
        normally experieence you will find close to the same discrepancy
        percentage wise.


        I recently came across a wind turbine article which stated something
        to the effect of that the power available in the wind is related to
        the cube of the wind speed and if you double the speed, power
        increases by a multiple of 8...I was under the impression it was a
        multiple of 4 when doubling speed....any comments?

        Rob in Fredericton
        (who is very sour due to mild weather....never thought I'd hear
        myself say that)



        > I did some research before going (looking at some wind statistics
        at
        > Varadero in the last few years) and thought that kitesurfing is
        not that
        > great so I packed only 1 kite (Gastraa GSX 14 m2) and 1 board.
        >
        > The &^(*( wind statistics was so wrong. The wind at Varadero was
        so
        > good that I couldn't kite a few days because the wind was so
        strong for
        > my 14 m2 kite (for those days I had to wait until the end of the
        days -
        > after 5 PM - for the wind to die down before going out).
        >
        > When I came back, I looked at the wind statistics for the same
        period I
        > was there and it is about 5 - 7 knots below my experience.
        >
        > Hung.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.