Re: Snowkiting!

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
      Christophe,

      I use K2 Clicker bindings instead of straps because they are easier
      to handle. However, straps work just fine. The best method for
      launching an Ozone Frenzy is to put your snowboard on BEFORE you
      launch the kite. This can be done by laying out the kite downwind
      (unless you are launching in heavy wind and then you should do a
      side launch and put snow on the side edge of the kite) and putting
      snow on the trailing edge. Straighten out your lines. Put on your
      snowboard. Hook into the chicken loop. Pull on the center leader
      line to get the kite to make a "wall" or in other words to inflate
      the kite. Push the bar away from you and the kite should lift up
      gently.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Christophe <RheinAndCo@i...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a
      snowboard... It
      > was like I expected... Great :-)
      > But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
      > bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
      > does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out
      the
      > kite, fixing the bindings ...
      >

      > Bye and Merry Christmas from Turkey
      > CHristophe
    • Petri Karjalainen
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
        Good guestion...

        Usually if its not too slippery I launch the kite, then land it using
        the brakes, and by while having the brakes on keep it down while
        putting the snowboard on. If the brakes are properly adjusted the
        kite will stay in ground ready to be launched. (When launching do
        remember fly the kite towards the edge of wind window first, unless
        you want to have a jump start directly downwind...) After a couple of
        rides try to use the kite power to get you up and riding - this will
        help you later with water starts.

        This "board off" procedure allows me to freely move to pump the kite
        up if the wind is very light for preinflation or manouver the kite in
        strong winds to adjust the depowering setting (I mainly ride closed
        foils from www.Boom-kites.com which have exellent depowering range
        due to the internal pressure of a closed foil).

        Only when the surface is very slippery I put the board on first. This
        is necessary to avoid sliding on the ice downwind ;-) just on "bare"
        shoes ...

        Rgds,
        PetriK
      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
          When launching w/o preinflating,
          don't be afraid if the kite turns over to leading edge down!
          If you just gently tug and release/tug release the brake line, you'll find
          that the kite will usually inflate w/o dragging you all over the place!
          Phil b

        • Christophe
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
            Hello,
            I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a snowboard... It
            was like I expected... Great :-)
            But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
            bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
            does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out the
            kite, fixing the bindings ...

            Bye and a Happy New Year from Turkey
            Christophe