Re: Snowkiting!

  • hink_trent
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
      The easiest is park the kite on the ground with the leash, then put
      your bindings on, then launch the kite.

      In strong winds you may want to use the steering lines to driect the
      kite toward the edge of the window before launching, or make sure you
      have a lot of room and ride almost straight towards the kite as it
      goes up, or both.

      trent

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Christophe <RheinAndCo@i...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a
      snowboard... It
      > was like I expected... Great :-)
      > But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
      > bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
      > does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out
      the
      > kite, fixing the bindings ...
      >

      > Bye and Merry Christmas from Turkey
      > CHristophe
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
        Christophe,

        I use K2 Clicker bindings instead of straps because they are easier
        to handle. However, straps work just fine. The best method for
        launching an Ozone Frenzy is to put your snowboard on BEFORE you
        launch the kite. This can be done by laying out the kite downwind
        (unless you are launching in heavy wind and then you should do a
        side launch and put snow on the side edge of the kite) and putting
        snow on the trailing edge. Straighten out your lines. Put on your
        snowboard. Hook into the chicken loop. Pull on the center leader
        line to get the kite to make a "wall" or in other words to inflate
        the kite. Push the bar away from you and the kite should lift up
        gently.

        Kenny

        wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a
        snowboard... It
        > was like I expected... Great :-)
        > But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
        > bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
        > does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out
        the
        > kite, fixing the bindings ...
        >

        > Bye and Merry Christmas from Turkey
        > CHristophe
      • Petri Karjalainen
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
          Good guestion...

          Usually if its not too slippery I launch the kite, then land it using
          the brakes, and by while having the brakes on keep it down while
          putting the snowboard on. If the brakes are properly adjusted the
          kite will stay in ground ready to be launched. (When launching do
          remember fly the kite towards the edge of wind window first, unless
          you want to have a jump start directly downwind...) After a couple of
          rides try to use the kite power to get you up and riding - this will
          help you later with water starts.

          This "board off" procedure allows me to freely move to pump the kite
          up if the wind is very light for preinflation or manouver the kite in
          strong winds to adjust the depowering setting (I mainly ride closed
          foils from www.Boom-kites.com which have exellent depowering range
          due to the internal pressure of a closed foil).

          Only when the surface is very slippery I put the board on first. This
          is necessary to avoid sliding on the ice downwind ;-) just on "bare"
          shoes ...

          Rgds,
          PetriK
        • Remtgnow@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
            When launching w/o preinflating,
            don't be afraid if the kite turns over to leading edge down!
            If you just gently tug and release/tug release the brake line, you'll find
            that the kite will usually inflate w/o dragging you all over the place!
            Phil b

          • Christophe
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
              Hello,
              I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a snowboard... It
              was like I expected... Great :-)
              But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
              bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
              does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out the
              kite, fixing the bindings ...

              Bye and a Happy New Year from Turkey
              Christophe