Snowkiting!

  • Christophe
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
      Hello,
      I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a snowboard... It
      was like I expected... Great :-)
      But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
      bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
      does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out the
      kite, fixing the bindings ...

      Bye and Merry Christmas from Turkey
      CHristophe
    • hink_trent
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
        The easiest is park the kite on the ground with the leash, then put
        your bindings on, then launch the kite.

        In strong winds you may want to use the steering lines to driect the
        kite toward the edge of the window before launching, or make sure you
        have a lot of room and ride almost straight towards the kite as it
        goes up, or both.

        trent

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Christophe <RheinAndCo@i...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a
        snowboard... It
        > was like I expected... Great :-)
        > But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
        > bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
        > does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out
        the
        > kite, fixing the bindings ...
        >

        > Bye and Merry Christmas from Turkey
        > CHristophe
      • fernmanus
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
          Christophe,

          I use K2 Clicker bindings instead of straps because they are easier
          to handle. However, straps work just fine. The best method for
          launching an Ozone Frenzy is to put your snowboard on BEFORE you
          launch the kite. This can be done by laying out the kite downwind
          (unless you are launching in heavy wind and then you should do a
          side launch and put snow on the side edge of the kite) and putting
          snow on the trailing edge. Straighten out your lines. Put on your
          snowboard. Hook into the chicken loop. Pull on the center leader
          line to get the kite to make a "wall" or in other words to inflate
          the kite. Push the bar away from you and the kite should lift up
          gently.

          Kenny

          wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a
          snowboard... It
          > was like I expected... Great :-)
          > But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
          > bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
          > does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out
          the
          > kite, fixing the bindings ...
          >

          > Bye and Merry Christmas from Turkey
          > CHristophe
        • Petri Karjalainen
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
            Good guestion...

            Usually if its not too slippery I launch the kite, then land it using
            the brakes, and by while having the brakes on keep it down while
            putting the snowboard on. If the brakes are properly adjusted the
            kite will stay in ground ready to be launched. (When launching do
            remember fly the kite towards the edge of wind window first, unless
            you want to have a jump start directly downwind...) After a couple of
            rides try to use the kite power to get you up and riding - this will
            help you later with water starts.

            This "board off" procedure allows me to freely move to pump the kite
            up if the wind is very light for preinflation or manouver the kite in
            strong winds to adjust the depowering setting (I mainly ride closed
            foils from www.Boom-kites.com which have exellent depowering range
            due to the internal pressure of a closed foil).

            Only when the surface is very slippery I put the board on first. This
            is necessary to avoid sliding on the ice downwind ;-) just on "bare"
            shoes ...

            Rgds,
            PetriK
          • Remtgnow@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
              When launching w/o preinflating,
              don't be afraid if the kite turns over to leading edge down!
              If you just gently tug and release/tug release the brake line, you'll find
              that the kite will usually inflate w/o dragging you all over the place!
              Phil b

            • Christophe
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
                Hello,
                I tried for the first time my Ozone Frenzzi kite with a snowboard... It
                was like I expected... Great :-)
                But Is it not easier to use surf straps instat of the snowboard
                bindings? It was not simple to get ready quickly by strong wind...
                does some one have a trick to get started fast enough; taking out the
                kite, fixing the bindings ...

                Bye and a Happy New Year from Turkey
                Christophe